• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My q6600 degrading allready???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reznik

Since i bought my quad 6600 4 and a half weeks ago iv been pretty much oc it testing benchmarking etc, iv been runing it on 3.2ghz on specs below just fine...until few days ago and today at which time im posting. Few days ago for the first time on these settings my comp froze at windows loading bar...i immediately restarted the computer and it booted up. Today just now i was playing COD 4 online and suddenly restarted my computer...this never happened before in games at these settings what could it mean?...

it seems classic case of tweaking problem dont tell me somethings gone bust and it wants more voltage??? why has it done this...il keep playing and benchmarking to see if it hangs again.. i would appreciate the help!
His Radeon 4870 @ 35% fan oc 790/1100 @ 55 idle/71 load
western digital 500gb sata 2 @ 7200rpm
OCZ GameXtreme 600w
19 inch AMW lcd monitor
Vista home premium 64bit

Attachments

• hhh.jpg
    hhh.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 311
ok this was done like 2 weeks ago i think i remeber doing prime tests over night few times liek this all passed

Attachments

• PASSED.jpg
    PASSED.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 277
this is what i did today faield after one our...it was exaclty same settings from before wtf....how on earth has my 4 week old go q6600 start degrading...BS!!!

Attachments

• FAILED.jpg
    FAILED.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 282
i ant seem to get memtest to work...but ive tried windows vista memmory test i did 8 hours worth of testing...and that passed...

the highest voltage i ever went to when oc was 1.5 ..but that was liek for 20 odd mins even less..i never went above any voltage safety limits for any other values so how can this be happening what do i do ??? :(

There are so many things it could be. I wouldn't immediately assume it's the CPU.

i like how people tend to write the most bloody usless comments ever...come ffs gimme some dam advice thats why im writing on the forums, look at the 2nd and 3rd set of screens above...2 weeks ago prime passed 8 hours, today i ran it the same setup failed after 1 hour ....what could that mean..its obvious is working fine b4 since i did all the lengthy burn in tests..

i like how people tend to write the most bloody usless comments ever...come ffs gimme some dam advice thats why im writing on the forums,

I'm sure that will get many people to jump outta their seats to help ya ;)

I'd advise testing the individual components of your system, like running memtest, Orthos(with small ffts), Fur benchmark, etc to try to narrow down the possibilities for the failure.

Yes it's degrading rapidly.

Add more voltage if you want your current clocks to remain stable.

Either that or clean your cpu cooler. Or go to 1.40vcc.

Or downclock.

"burn in" does nothing for cpu ocing it either ocs to that speed or doesnt. has your cpuvtt or CPUGTL settings in bios changed? i would guess one of those two might have been lowered my mistake causing the cpu to now be unstable even at the cpu-v.

You assumption that performance degradation is due to the CPU is, in my opinion, well, an assumption. We are nowhere near the point where we can call it fact.

This could also be motherboard problem - capacitors, corrupted BIOS. Software? Operating system? What's running in the background? Any new processes?

You assumption that performance degradation is due to the CPU is, in my opinion, well, an assumption. We are nowhere near the point where we can call it fact.

This could also be motherboard problem - capacitors, corrupted BIOS. Software? Operating system? What's running in the background? Any new processes?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Video card OC instability comes to mind as well.

Very typical of ram problems. I highly doubt your cpu is degrading. I would say up the voltage to 1.4-1.43v and if it still occurs then I'd look at replacing your ram. The only real way of testing the ram is to put in sticks that you know work then see if it reboots. Memtest won't always catch these errors for some reason and often memtest will reboot if it is a mem error.

There is something going on with DDR 2 modules that I've never seen with any other ram that causes them to die early.

dump,
the only DDR2 ram having issues is ram with micron based IC's. the only time i killed a set of ram was from running 2.35 v thru them and they were promos based. i have yet to have any issues with the 4 other different sets of DDR2 ram im using or have sold to people.

i like how people tend to write the most bloody usless comments ever...come ffs gimme some dam advice thats why im writing on the forums, look at the 2nd and 3rd set of screens above...2 weeks ago prime passed 8 hours, today i ran it the same setup failed after 1 hour ....what could that mean..its obvious is working fine b4 since i did all the lengthy burn in tests..

memtest u need to download bootable iso and burn it to a cd and boot from it

Red gave you solid advice but you chose to ignore it?windows based memory testing programs are notoriously innaccurate.which is why he mentioned that you should run memtest86+.
if you want to learn to properly troubleshoot your rig it may be wise to listen to people like Jason who are simply trying to help you.

Back