• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my XSPC D5 PWM broken?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zepticon

So i recieved my XSPC D5 PWM pump a couple of days ago, and finaly got it up and running. But it makes a horrible sound when doing over 4000rpm.

I have had it running at low speed for 24 hours now, to make sure there is no air in the system. I have been knocking and tapping the rads, pump, hoses and all to release air bubbles, and turned the case in all directions to be 100% sure its not air thats trapped.

Stil making a bad noise :(

So i recieved my XSPC D5 PWM pump a couple of days ago, and finaly got it up and running. But it makes a horrible sound when doing over 4000rpm.

I have had it running at low speed for 24 hours now, to make sure there is no air in the system. I have been knocking and tapping the rads, pump, hoses and all to release air bubbles, and turned the case in all directions to be 100% sure its not air thats trapped.

Stil making a bad noise :(

Welcome to OCFs!

Interesting enough after watching your video, thanks for that btw, I don't see any turbulent water or any movement really other than a few small bubbles arise. Could possibly be a large lodged bubble in the pump.

Can you give us a few pictures of the whole loop to get a general idea of your in and outs etc. Are you saying it runs fine in lower settings? What are your temps in the loop? Give us a list of your components including water cooling parts and idle and load temps along with ambient. Also have you done a complete clean out before assembling the loop in case of manufacturer debre?

Welcome to OCFs!

Interesting enough after watching your video, thanks for that btw, I don't see any turbulent water or any movement really other than a few small bubbles arise. Could possibly be a large lodged bubble in the pump.

Can you give us a few pictures of the whole loop to get a general idea of your in and outs etc. Are you saying it runs fine in lower settings? What are your temps in the loop? Give us a list of your components including water cooling parts and idle and load temps along with ambient. Also have you done a complete clean out before assembling the loop in case of manufacturer debre?

Thanks for the welcome:)

The top has both a anti swirl and some foam to minimize the water movement in the reservoir. If you check out the X-res tops for the D5 you will get a good picure of it, and it does a good job.

Full loop:
IMG_3427.jpg

I have run a DCC with an EK top and swiftec res in it for a year now without troubles, and i only changed the pump and res now. It was also cleaned before installing. The reason i changed them was that the old res was not a good fit in my 350D.

Its a super silent build, and i dont use it for much gfx demanding games. The worst i have is Tomb Raider with everything om ultra/max and i get maybe 50 degree on the GPU (660Ti) and 45 on the CPU(best Haswell i5). Normally its around 36-40 with only the front fans (2x120mm) at 600rpm. The top rad has 2x140 but they rarely turns on (activates at 45degrees)

Also, my flowmeter (coolance) is not able to recognize the waterflow before i get a couple thousands of rpm on the pump, but the temps seem very good even below this level.

ECU and GFX blocks are EK as well:)

Posting this from my phone so sorry for spelling errors and such not easy to edit long texts on short screens;)

Last edited:
If you look at the left side of the pump-top head-on, is that fitting connected to the left port or the right port?

It is connected to the water outlet, that would be the lower left hole. EK has made a good move here and made all the inlets deeper, so i need the adapter to mount a fitting on it, and there is only one adapter in the kit, so it has to go on one of the inlets :)

Did you properly bleed the system? It looks like it circulates the loop and the res is connected in sort of T configuration. It's harder to bleed a system that has air in it unless you have the reservoir as actual end part of the system.

Did you properly bleed the system? It looks like it circulates the loop and the res is connected in sort of T configuration. It's harder to bleed a system that has air in it unless you have the reservoir as actual end part of the system.

This is how it looks. I have tried my best to bleed it, and have turned the case in all kinds of directions to remove air from the system.

ScreenShot2014-01-31at113722.png

Nope. Sound is still there if i detatch the pump from the mounts all toghether. It comes rom the pump internals for sure.

Hmm. Wonder, is it cavatiting, yeah spelling, at high rpm. If you run med speeds, does air bubbles lessen. ( in time). What speed does it start to get noisy?

The sound appears when i hit around 4000rpm. And the max speed of the pump is 4700 according to my PWM controller.

What kind of restriction do you have? Can you measure the psi in the loop? Did I see that you have it "t" d? Can you isolate one loop and test individually?

The inlet for the reservoir is so close to the suction of the pump that bubbles will probably just go back into the loop. Try to do some quick variations between pump speeds for some time to see if your res level drops. You should also tap the res once in a while to release any bubbles in the foam.

What kind of restriction do you have? Can you measure the psi in the loop? Did I see that you have it "t" d? Can you isolate one loop and test individually?
How do i meassure that?

It is a single loop setup:
Res-Pump-CPU-GPU-Rad1-FlowMeter-Rad2-Res

The D5 tends to growl a bit when running at high speed... Which is why most people run the non-PWM at setting 2 or 3 and only 4-5 if very restrictive loops.
There is actually not much gain to had between setting 3 & 5 , so ....
As long as you can get 1 to 1.5 GPM flow with "low" pump speed there is no need to really rev it up. The only time when everything (pump + fans) has to ramp up is when in critical conditions - read hot hot hot
Assuming that your Pump PWM signal comes from CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT, you can modify the curve / start point a bit... To allows for the pump to kick in later.
I assume it is now set to something like <45 °C - 25% , >45°C - 35% ... all the way to +60°C - 100%
You could set the start point to 55°C - 25% which would cause the pump to start ramping up much later.

Anyways, i dont know if what your pump does is really noisy, or just the same as any other D5, or if it is just perception .... but the solution is easy: dont run a +4000 RPM :)

But it makes a horrible sound when doing over 4000rpm.

The inlet for the reservoir is so close to the suction of the pump that bubbles will probably just go back into the loop. Try to do some quick variations between pump speeds for some time to see if your res level drops. You should also tap the res once in a while to release any bubbles in the foam.

Waza is spot on and exactly what I was going to say. From the look of your diagram, it looks to me at higher speeds the pump could be sucking in bubbles. It happens to me if I put my dual pumps @ 100% load. I never run them high and keep my system steady at 0.9/1.0 GPM. I have both PWM pumps running at 40%. In your case being a single pump and some 90 degree angles in the loop, I would look to keep the pump stable at 60% PWM. Mess with it at that range. With a reservoir setup like that I wouldn't run the pump 80%-100% PWM. It's a powerful pump.

Thanks for the welcome:)

The top has both a anti swirl and some foam to minimize the water movement in the reservoir. If you check out the X-res tops for the D5 you will get a good picure of it, and it does a good job.

Full loop:
IMG_3427.jpg

I have run a DCC with an EK top and swiftec res in it for a year now without troubles, and i only changed the pump and res now. It was also cleaned before installing. The reason i changed them was that the old res was not a good fit in my 350D.

Its a super silent build, and i dont use it for much gfx demanding games. The worst i have is Tomb Raider with everything om ultra/max and i get maybe 50 degree on the GPU (660Ti) and 45 on the CPU(best Haswell i5). Normally its around 36-40 with only the front fans (2x120mm) at 600rpm. The top rad has 2x140 but they rarely turns on (activates at 45degrees)

Also, my flowmeter (coolance) is not able to recognize the waterflow before i get a couple thousands of rpm on the pump, but the temps seem very good even below this level.

ECU and GFX blocks are EK as well:)

Posting this from my phone so sorry for spelling errors and such not easy to edit long texts on short screens;)

Did you get the flow meter adapter for your Koolance flow meter?

The frequency adapter converts the rpm to Hz and the RPMs are approximate flow in mL/min. So 450 rpm = 450 mL/min = .45 L/min

Back