• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is NetBurst Dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all. I am wondering, I read in MaximumPC an article to the effect that the future of NetBurst is in question... That it fell short of the 10GHz expectation, due to unmanagable thermal issues. That Intel cancelled Tejas because it realized they couldnt market a 175W CPU, and that the future of it's chipsets are also questionable. That Intel is going to be making a dual-core Prescott cpu with 64-bit instructions that were reverse-engineered from A64 - and are lacking 2 components of the production A64, because Intel based their development off of old AMD Tech Docs. That Intel will then move to using dual-core desktop CPU's that utilize the core architecture of the Pentium-M.

I suppose what I want to ask here is---what's your take on this; and Intel's future in general? What does it mean for AMD? And MOST IMPORTANTLY: What Does It Mean To Us?

There have been numerous comments and threads on this in the past, search in the main CPU forum. As a side note, the best place IMHO for news on this sort of stuff is X-Bit Labs, if you're interested in backtracking the history, and so that you catch up on it earlier ;).

Back