• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is OC'ing my FX-53 worth the time? -- (First Post)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dana0550

Registered
I mean, will I notice a real difference in speed if I overclock it to about 2.8ghz, or should I just leave it stock.

If I decide to overclock it I plan on going to the watercooling route just to be safe.

Thanks
Dana

Everybody, say this forum's name!

Say it!

:attn:

Again! :attn:

Again! :attn:

:)

EDIT: I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Welcome to the forums. Although the FX chips are not the CPUs of choice by most members here, there are quite a few who have posted about their overclocking experiences with them. This is how you can get to them quickly:

Search > Advanced Search > Key Word(s): FX-53 > but then select > Search Titles Only. Good luck!

Last edited:
I mean, will I notice a real difference in speed if I overclock it to about 2.8ghz, or should I just leave it stock.

Yes you will notice a big difference, the FX-53 is default at 2.4Ghz I believe, 400mhz overclock is awesome. How do you plan to achieve this, because even water cooling will not achieve this... result.

Welcome to the forums!

Yes it is alot of fun to see how far you can push you hardware. :clap:

Also to get more performance for free. Well almost... ;)

c627627 said:
EDIT: I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Welcome to the forums. Although the FX chips are not the CPUs of choice by most members here, there are quite a few who have posted about their overclocking experiences with them. This is how you can get to them quickly:

Search > Advanced Search > Key Word(s): FX-53 > but then select > Search Titles Only.

funko said:
i have no clue, he's speaking some strange terms i havent seen around here
:D
I mean keep it sotck as in, leave it at 2.4 ghz..

Also thanks for the replies, Ill do some searching and check for some more info. I was insterested in OC'ing because anyone can just buy the chip and leave it alone. I wanted to try to have something a lil different. Plus I thinking I will be going the watercooling way soon even though I just built this computer. Since I will have WC'ing I figured I should OC.

Dana
:attn:

P.S. I dont know if you guys and girls know this, but the Thermalright XP-120 is a HUGEEEEE cpu heatsink, that where I got the idea to WC, and try to find a nice waterblock for it that wasnt as big.

Noise is the reason I went with watercooling for my xp-m. Since then with Thermalright (with a silent fan) and Zalman have done good job with quieting performance aircooling but they tend to be large (enough so that you fear for your mobo.. lol) So I'm also WC'ing my A64 too.

Anyway with WC, why hesitate? Clock her up till she canst' take no more!

yeah man OC is ALWAYS worth it....There is really no reason not to if you have the cooling to do so.....also read some on the forums and you will get where we r cooming from....

But hey man good luck and make that thing SCREAM!!!

Since I don't know your experience, money situation, ..., there is much more risk overclocking a $800 CPU than a $150-200 CPU for a gain of ~20% on air or ~30% with extremem cooling.

For overclocking of CPU, there are always risks and unforeseen situations (for both new and experienced, maybe less for experienced) such as
- over applying voltage or alike
- human/careless/stupid errors in changing setting, mounting/dismounting heat sink, components, ...
- forgetting this and that when playing and altering systems.

IMO, using air cooling as example,
for overclocking $150-200 A64 CPU for ~20% gain, or
for overclocking $100 mobile barton for ~30% gain, or
for overclocking $50-70 DLT3C XP for ~60% gain
are much less risky than overclocking/playing a $800 A64 FX for ~20% gain.

Back