• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the 965 black edition beter than the fx 6300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frederic2707

i heard that the 965 is beter than some x6 cores is this true and i also heard that it is beter value to performance compared too the fx 6300 and is one of amd's best processors

I'm guessing a significantly overclocked 6300 will best a significantly overclocked 965 but probably not by a lot.

For gaming purposes they are pretty close together. If I owned one or the other and only wanted to game I would not "upgrade" to the opposite. If I were to upgrade from either for gaming purposes I would go straight to Intel. Sometimes the 6300 does better(WoW Mists of Pandaria or whatever it is called seems to like the Vishera line), but many times they are very similar(Starcraft II for example).

Generally speaking the 965 is 60% of the cost of a 6300 but in general the 6300 is better so if you are buying new then the 6300 is best, if you own one or the other already then you're pretty safe staying with what you have. For gaming only you could probably go either way and not notice the difference unless you use a program to gather the FPS stats for you.

You won't get this significant overclock with a 620 either, especially not on the 6300.

I'm guessing stock speeds would be about a wash. A good overclock or a 965 on high end air would be about 4.0-4.1 ghz. A good overclock on a FX 6300 on high end air would be about 4.3-4.4. When I say high end air think like Noctua D14 which would be as good or a little better than your antec h20 620. Don't forget, the FX 6300 is not a true 6 core CPU. It is a three core with (essentially) hyper threading. In some ways it will perform like a 6 core but in other ways more like a 3 core.

Back