• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Isopropyl Alcohol Necessary ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In my experience, the "pea-sized" dab is a little too much on an Intel chip which has less real estate than an AMD chip. Excess just squeezes out and falls over the side to make a mess. Somewhere between a BB and a green pea is about right.

I didn't quite catch where the idea that using isoprop leads to better temps came from. It just makes the cleaning easier imo, nonetheless you should always see that the surface is cleaned perfectly. And then it doesn't matter what you used.

Like 5 years ago I purchased this kit and it lasts me until today. I don't swap coolers every 3 month but once in a while I clean my rig or set up a friends rig. And a pack of coffee filters should end up with something like 100 pieces for like 50 cents or so.

I like having this stuff just laying around in case.

I didn't quite catch where the idea that using isoprop leads to better temps came from. It just makes the cleaning easier imo, nonetheless you should always see that the surface is cleaned perfectly. And then it doesn't matter what you used.

Like 5 years ago I purchased this kit and it lasts me until today. I don't swap coolers every 3 month but once in a while I clean my rig or set up a friends rig. And a pack of coffee filters should end up with something like 100 pieces for like 50 cents or so.

I like having this stuff just laying around in case.
The idea is that isopropyl will leave little/no residue. Finger oils or residue from other cleaners will have a lower w/mk than your average TIM and thereby reduce cooling potential. You ideally want nothing but the absolute best heat conductor between your IHS and heatsink. Well i guess ideally you want 0 micro-fizzures and no need for TIM at all, but you get the idea :)

Edit: I cant think of what would be more effective besides Moonshine or everclear, but they fail to measure up on the cost department.

Last edited:
I have that same kit idkfa. Best I can tell is the surface purifier is just isopropyl alcohol.

Would have to check when I get home but I'm pretty sure both bottles use isoprop as a basis.
The comment was targeted to the fact that I was under the impression that OP couldn't get hands on isoprop locally. And pharmacies (where I'd think you could get it) tend to be expensive in my locale.

One of the bottles in the kit smelled like goo gone to me
You can get isopropyl alcohol 91% pretty cheap here, like $2 USD for a 16oz bottle in drug stores.

Uhm... I sort did exactly that.

Okay heres the SitRep: Some of the Compound Squeezed out the right side of my Socket while I was lowering the Heatsink.... So I lifted the HeatSink and tried to wipe it off... however i couldn't reach because the Socket was in the way.... So... I... Lifted.... The.... CPU..................................................... The Paste ran down the socket and got over about three of those tiny Holes.... also the Very Edge of Underneath the CPU has got Paste on it, its touching pretty much the entire first Row of Pins on that side. I tried getting Rid of as much of it as I could with the Spirits but the **** just wont all come off.

[Deep Breaths].... So I said Screw It... I put the 212X Back on Shove the Board back into my Rig, Pressed the Power Button and Crossed my Fingers.... It didn't work :eek: ......

I opened the Side Panel and my R7 360's 6-Pin Lead wasn't Connected...... So I connected it.... and it Booted just fine..... well almost.

My Bios was not as I left it, but other than that. everything seems fine. My Temps are Down, the Rig is Finally Quiet (Still need to replace some Case Fans).

So... Exactly how badly did I **** up and how far into the future is this going to come back and Bite me in *** ?

Uhm... I sort did exactly that.

Okay heres the SitRep: Some of the Compound Squeezed out the right side of my Socket while I was lowering the Heatsink.... So I lifted the HeatSink and tried to wipe it off... however i couldn't reach because the Socket was in the way.... So... I... Lifted.... The.... CPU..................................................... The Paste ran down the socket and got over about three of those tiny Holes.... also the Very Edge of Underneath the CPU has got Paste on it, its touching pretty much the entire first Row of Pins on that side. I tried getting Rid of as much of it as I could with the Spirits but the **** just wont all come off.

[Deep Breaths].... So I said Screw It... I put the 212X Back on Shove the Board back into my Rig, Pressed the Power Button and Crossed my Fingers.... It didn't work :eek: ......

I opened the Side Panel and my R7 360's 6-Pin Lead wasn't Connected...... So I connected it.... and it Booted just fine..... well almost.

My Bios was not as I left it, but other than that. everything seems fine. My Temps are Down, the Rig is Finally Quiet (Still need to replace some Case Fans).

So... Exactly how badly did I **** up and how far into the future is this going to come back and Bite me in *** ?
What paste? If its non-conductive (it probably is or you wojld have fried something) then you might be in the clear. You should still clean as best you can with a toothpick.... But maybe... If it aint broke dont fix it? If its a conductive/capacitive paste then I suggest you start counting the hours until failure and report back how long everything held together :)

I would probably leave well enough alone as long as everything is working right, but Ive been known to kick hardware that doesnt behave so you might not want to follow my example :)

If you really want to clean it out of the socket get a can of electrical contact cleaner. Take the mobo outside and spray the paste out of the socket. Let it dry and the reassemble it.

What paste? If its non-conductive (it probably is or you wojld have fried something) then you might be in the clear. You should still clean as best you can with a toothpick.... But maybe... If it aint broke dont fix it? If its a conductive/capacitive paste then I suggest you start counting the hours until failure and report back how long everything held together :)

I would probably leave well enough alone as long as everything is working right, but Ive been known to kick hardware that doesnt behave so you might not want to follow my example :)

Its the Thermal Paste that came with the 212X... its got no details on the label and can't any info on it from CoolerMaster's Website.

- - - Updated - - -

If you really want to clean it out of the socket get a can of electrical contact cleaner. Take the mobo outside and spray the paste out of the socket. Let it dry and the reassemble it.

Electrical Cleaner ?

Awesome, where can I get some ? :)

Its the Thermal Paste that came with the 212X... its got no details on the label and can't any info on it from CoolerMaster's Website.

- - - Updated - - -

Electrical Cleaner ?

Awesome, where can I get some ? :)
If it is what came with the heat sink, then very likely non-conductive.

i really dont bother with the alcohol anymore i wipe off the cpu the best i can with a paper towel (read until it looks clean) sometimes requires scraping off some of it with a plastic object like a credit card or something. call it good, the part of a degree celcius isnt worth the extra work to me of either looking for and going to the other room to grab the alcohol or going to buy it.

as for tim, i use the cheap ceramique stuff thats like $7 for a lifetime supply tube.

Back