• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the new 7800 512mb worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker550
lol your card is overkill. If you want more gaming fps, overclock your cpu or get a fx57!

Not worth it at all...

If your going ot spend that much on a graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130249
in SLI is $700

$50 less and better scores"

no according to the review over at anandtech the 7800gtx512(single card) beats 7800gtx sli(2x256gtx) by a pretty wide margin............

its sad how some people have their priorities mixed up. I was getting better gaming performance and my games look better than what many people were because I have a better cpu and a high end 21" CRT. Their monitor sucked!

well I think it's sad when people spend over $700 on a video card. Screw the bragging rights....Who is their to brag to? the only person your bragging to is the ppl online, and these people won't remember you 3 weeks from now.

If I want to play BF2 at 1920x1200 w/ all the eye candy turned on, what's going to do that?

FWIW - I was thinking 2 7800GTs SLI but for the same money I can get a 7800GTX 512

cooper15 said:
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker550
lol your card is overkill. If you want more gaming fps, overclock your cpu or get a fx57!

Not worth it at all...

If your going ot spend that much on a graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130249
in SLI is $700

$50 less and better scores"

no according to the review over at anandtech the 7800gtx512(single card) beats 7800gtx sli(2x256gtx) by a pretty wide margin............

WTH are you talking about? 7800GTX SLI and 7800GT SLI beat a single 7800GTX 512 in every test except for one game.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2607&p=1

7800GTX+W/Cing+Voltmod= 7800GTX 512MB card but minus the extra memory. Seriously I don't recomend the new Ultra GTX, waste of money IMO.

Until this card comes down to a normal 600 dollar or lower price tag, it's not going to be worth it, except to the extreme gamer who just has to have the ultimate, or has a game that is plagued by low FPS. If your into simulators, this card could help, but it's gonna also take a heck of a CPU, and I'm not so sure that's available yet. If you bottleneck this card it trully is a waste of money.

Pie-rate said:
2 6800Us in sli will outperform that card.

Don't waste $300

um, no it wont... - single 7800GTX's were whiping the floor with dual 6800ultra's....

try reading some more reviews.

I called the $700+ on the cards a good measure before they hit the shelves.I suspect the price will stay like this until January at least, and then expect $650.

maybe dell will run a deal on them or something but it's a few months out.

The 7800 GTX sans 512 will be the ones to keep an eye out for, particularly through reselling channels (ala eBay); because certain morons with plastic will be dumping their wad this holiday on the 'Best'.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=422275
On11-05-05, 08:30 PM SuperFarStucker wrote:

Price/performance wise you're ****ing batty to buy either of the cards. If you want a toy, the gtx is a nice option, but the 512 will be even nicer.
I think people are low-balling the price as a kind of 'wish.' In all likelihood the video card will retail for $700.00 - $750.00 dollars. The memory in the current GTX probably costs half as much for the same quantity, and there is twice as much in the new one. The GTX will probably drop a good $60-70.00 bucks in price, although I don't think the manufaturers will want to slit their margin's throats, considerings ati's best offering will only be marginally better as far as most measures can tell (at this point) and sport a good $100.00 up on the current incarnations.
I don't think the GT's price point will move much though as it is already a screaming deal for somebody who wants something that bats near the same point average as the 'big boys'. I'm interested in what ATI will be offering in that range as well as it may be a very good performer and somewhat cheap compared to the flagships.
In the interest of full disclosure, I just bought a BFG GTX off ebay 2 weeks ago for 465.00 shipped. It's given me a pretty nice OC on the memory and a marginal one on the clocks so I can't say I'm unhappy with the purchase. Especially considering I was able to schlep my old card for 60.00 bucks less than I paid for it after having it for 6 months.
I am slightly disappointed that it is soon to be trumped in the grand video card ****ing contest, but that is to be expected.
7800gtx in sli will likely barely edge out this new card, and you'll probably need a new PSU to use it. That's at least 900.00 after it's all said and done, definitely not worth it, just get one of the new ones, which will easily boast a 20-40% speed bonus over the gtx. and at most cost 750.00

Back