• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a simple way to remove old drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waterboy623

Registered
When I ask that I mean like I have a gigabyte board but used to have MSI and asus before that. Gpu used to be asus and MSI. Is there a simple way without breaking into the registry to get rid of these old drivers? On a second note thanks for helping with the questions even though a lot of them are the I know this stuff kind of. Questions

You can likely remove the majority of the parter-only software packages from add-remove programs. If you are still on the same chipset the drivers don't change much so that shouldn't be an issue.

Same thing for the video cards, brand really doesn't matter. If you installed the overclocking application for that brand and it doesn't work with the new card you can also uninstall from add remove.

Are these device drivers still showing up in Programs and Features? Most of the time, when you pull a video card from the system the driver no longer appears in the program list. That's not to say it's really gone but just not visible. In such cases the best way to uninstall the driver is to temporarily reinstall the hardware. Delete the driver in Programs and Features and then power down the machine and remove the hardware. Some tech companies also make uninstall utilities that do a more thorough job of cleaning the system of artifacts that may be left over than does a simple uninstall of their products from from Programs and Features.

I think I would also run the Registry cleaner tool in Ccleaner. It's pretty safe and prompts you to save a backup of the registry before it executes the clean.

You can easily delete drivers with Windows 7 Manager. There is a 10, 8 and Vista version also. It is a separate tab in the Services module. You can also delete services too for that matter. Just make sure you backup the entire pc beforehand

Back