• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there such software ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Ill let you know how my network is setup...

I'm on the main computer connected directly to the internet with my cable modem, but i've got two nic's in the computer, so I have a proxy setup so my other computer can connect to the internet aswell via crossover cable.

So you know how routers work... modem plugs in, router distributes IPs, alll computer get the internet the same, so what I was wondering is... is there software out that that I can install that will make my computer as as a router "still getting the main IP from my ISP, but also giving me a virtual isp "192.168.0.2", and giving my other computer "192.168.0.3" ? that way both can access the internet the same... with a proxy port forwarding is a pita..

If we are talking winxp, you can use the "internet connection sharing" wizard. Just run it on the rig connected to the modem. The wizard will set up a dhcp server and the Network Address Translation for you. When the wizard is done, just set up the other computer to get its ip from dhcp.

is there software out that that I can install that will make my computer as as a router

Yes. The more popular ones are named Linux and Windows.

If you want something functional and kinda fun to setup, try finding an old Pentium system like in my case, I found an old P-166 w/500mb HD, at a local thrift store for $15. I added 2 Nic cards and installed Smoothwall. This system was extremely easy to setup and has been functioning as a veery comfortable firewall/router/dhcp/etc... for many, many moons. The poor thing has been sitting in my server closet keeping up with most of my network needs without much maintenance at all! Just weekly checks to make keep up with minor network admin. and that can be done remotely from within the local/home network.

eeek, use Windows XP as an important piece of a network, shame on you DaWiper :p

It is the easiest solution but if you can find an old PC lying around then ther are several bits of freeware out there that can give you a very easy to use and functional router/firewall. Smoothwall is the best thought (not that I'm biased)

coin said:
eeek, use Windows XP as an important piece of a network, shame on you DaWiper :p
Lol!
I never said It was a good solution, but it works. It worked for me for 4 months until I put togheter a old p233 rig with linux(Dachstein LEAP).
coin said:
It is the easiest solution but if you can find an old PC lying around then ther are several bits of freeware out there that can give you a very easy to use and functional router/firewall. Smoothwall is the best thought (not that I'm biased)
That was my point, It's the easy way!

yes i've used smoothwall before, but i havent got an extra computer laying around, so i know of something.. i cant remember what its called, but it can emulate the linuxenvironemnt so you can run linuxc apps and such, so if i were to isntall that, then smooth wall would it work ?

smoothwall will only work on a box on its own, it cannot be run inside a shell! The nature of the install procedures will not allow VMware to create an instance of Smoothwall.

Why not? There's nothing about vmware that keeps Smoothwall from installing.

Try it I may be wrong, I had heard that installing Smoothwall through VMware can still end up formatting your whole hard drive. If I had my spare boxes here any more I would test it for you.

Uh, no. That's impossible.

There's nothing remotely magical or special about Smoothwall that would make it break VMWare like that.

hmm maybe it's time to use VMware on my box and get my smoothy back :)
(I hate moving country and having to leave stuff behind)

Running Smoothwall on your own rig thru vmware? Couldn't that be a huge performance hit?

probably, I'll know once I try it :p I don't have that much experience with VMware so I'm not sure how much you can restrain resource hogging

XWRed1 said:
A 486 is enough for Smoothwall.

No doubt, but how much of a rig do you need to run vmware/smoothwall and another os(asuming winxp) all at the same time?
I bet DDR-PIII wants vmware to run in the background on its own.

the computer that would have vmware/smoothwall installed on would only be the netsurfing computer and lite games, it would be a p2 350 @ 466mhz with 128mbsdram. it was able to run xp pro, vmware and smoothwall fine :) along with bandwidth controller and NIC Express :)

Back