• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this a reasonable o/clock & kt7a with athlon xps ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peejay

Registered
Hi guys this is my first post after a while reading the forums and hope some of you clued up peeps out there can help?
i have an abit kt7a-raid v1.0, axha stepping, 1 ghz athlon t.bird (100fsbx10x) now running 1200ghz 120fsbx10x after my first go @o/clocking i could'nt push the fsb any more not even 1hz is this a decent o/clock with this set up or do you think i should be able to get some more?by the way i didn't up any voltages and have a 300w psu running hdd,fdd,dvd-rom, cdrw
also can i run any athlon xp cpu's on this mb if so which (t/bred or palamino)and what size can i go to? what do i need to do i.e. flash the bios with a9 am i correct? how risky is flashing the bios,is it a difficult procedure? thanks.

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

Any amount of overclock is good. What you have to do now is to unlock the CPU if it isn't already & go for 133MHz/266FSB & use the 1/4 divisor. What cooling do you have? Would you dare go for max voltage in SPFT MENU III?

What's the revision of the board? There is a sticker near the ISA slot that has this information.

Which BIOS are you using? Update to the latest you can find on Abit's site if you havent already. There is a very good sticky on updating the BIOS in the General AMD Motherboards section of the forums & should clear up any issues you have about the procedure.

Greetings from across the water
i've already unlocked the multiplier but found 120x10 to be as far as i could push without it not booting?
i've just a bog standard coolermaster with arctic silver3 and am using ww bios which is dated about jan 2000

I'm with Sonny,try dropping the multiplier to 8.5 or 9 and use the setting 133/33.your ram may be holding you back a little on the fsb if it isn't quality pc 133 cl2,try using cl3 if necessary.It will still perform better @ 133 cl3 than 120 @cl2.
also the ww bios is very very old,thats what mine shipped with and has many fixes with the a9.It's not really that hard to flash the bios anymore,most come with a runme file so all you have to do is type runme and it does the rest and if it doesn't update like it should you can allways type in all the switches just like in the manual.if your using raid be sure and back up your files as you are skipping several bios's in one step(without raid it doesn't matter).
and yes 200 mhz is a pretty good oc.Good luck!

Back