• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this enough cooling for the TITAN X VRMS and VRam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hi I have a titan x overclocked and overvolted on a custom bios
1450 mhz core
7600 mhz memory
1.27v voltage
125 % power limit . 350 watt tdp
I am using a custom arctric xtreme iv cooler and i made some additions to it .
received_960702027322862.jpeg
there are 3 fans on the gpu heatsink that are blowing some air i hope on those small heatsinks
I touch the rear heatsink and it feels really hot .does this mean the vrms are being cooled properly ?
FB_IMG_1430697650519.jpg
I did this yesterday where i ziptied a 120mm fan to the rearheatsink . only problem is it looks really ugly . so should I buy a pci fan and have it blow air on the rearsink. or remove the rearsink ziptied fan overall .
are those front sinks enough

You need some airflow over those sinks. I have the same sinks on my 290, but I have 2 120mm fans mounted on my Raijintek Morpheus heatsink and the fans blow over the VRM/Ram sinks to lower temps.

So what do you want? Cooler temps or pretty looking card? Who's going to look at the card with the fans ziptied on? Your girlfriend? Stop being a wuss and slap a fan on that thing!

You need some airflow over those sinks. I have the same sinks on my 290, but I have 2 120mm fans mounted on my Raijintek Morpheus heatsink and the fans blow over the VRM/Ram sinks to lower temps.

So what do you want? Cooler temps or pretty looking card? Who's going to look at the card with the fans ziptied on? Your girlfriend? Stop being a wuss and slap a fan on that thing!

why tie cables ? why color scheme . why neaten things up . I take pride in my work . I want something a little less messy

Up to you. I'm not the one with a dead card because I didn't want to "ziptie" a fan to my card to cool the VRMs for fear of of it looking bad.

Good Luck.

You need decent amount of airflow over those VRMs. A pci fan doesn't have enough CFMs to push cool air. What it will do is push warm air which won't help. No that cooling isn't enough.

Want a pic of what my card looks like with a pair of 120's on it?

Yup. A pair of these . Plenty of airflow pushing thru the sink right towards the VRM area.

Here's a screenie of Gpuz. Check VRM temps on the bottom:

Attachments

• Gpuz.gif
    Gpuz.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 698
Best pic I can get with my phone. A little dusty, lol

I took your advice. just very little airflow over the back sink . but a lot of air towards the individual small mosfets
thats idle temp . overclock . overvolt . test by furmark then show me the hottest recorded vrm temperature

Attachments

• 1446167599381.jpg
    1446167599381.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 730
That'll work for now. You can remove that triple fan get-up and mount 2x 120mm fans which will do better job with less noise, but you get the idea. A cooler card temp wise is a happy card ;)

As long as that VRM area gets some cool air it'll be fine.

That'll work for now. You can remove that triple fan get-up and mount 2x 120mm fans which will do better job with less noise, but you get the idea. A cooler card temp wise is a happy card ;)
but I am really curios how your fans perform as far as cooling the vrms . if a 390 vrm can be cooled well under stress then my titan x will be fine
those 3 fans at 30 % fan speed can keep the card below 60c :) and its dead silent .
i cant test right now because the build isnt ready yet . and there is no vrm heat sensors on the titan . sucks i know

Nice! The VRM is the hottest part besides the core. It's where the power delivery is. The way my heatsink is designed, I have 54 CFMs punching through the sink to get to the VRMs which have the same sinks you have. Even at 54 CFMs, I don't hear it at all.

My VGA cooler here . It's a massive beast of a sink.

Nice! The VRM is the hottest part besides the core. It's where the power delivery is. The way my heatsink is designed, I have 54 CFMs punching through the sink to get to the VRMs which have the same sinks you have. Even at 54 CFMs, I don't hear it at all.

My VGA cooler here . It's a massive beast of a sink.

I see it . it looks pretty slick . I wish you sent it to me before i got this bulky mess . performs good tho . can you still take my request and overvolt and oc just tosee how well the vrms will do . you can revert back to stock when you are done .

Sure I can do that. Lemme ramp this puppy up and I'll post a screenie.

Here ya goes. Using Kombustor 3

Attachments

• GpuZ_Load.gif
    GpuZ_Load.gif
    22 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
Well you added sinks to those areas. All you need is good airflow over those spots are you're golden. Besides having my 2x 120's on the card, I also have a 120 intake on the side of my case blowing straight towards the video card. Also an Intake 120 on the bottom of the case. The video card has plenty of airflow which helps alot.

That Titan X is a heater for sure, but with good airflow, it'll be good to go. Doesn't have to be noisy, just a decent amount of air :thup:

Well you added sinks to those areas. All you need is good airflow over those spots are you're golden. Besides having my 2x 120's on the card, I also have a 120 intake on the side of my case blowing straight towards the video card. Also an Intake 120 on the bottom of the case. The video card has plenty of airflow which helps alot.

That Titan X is a heater for sure, but with good airflow, it'll be good to go. Doesn't have to be noisy, just a decent amount of air :thup:

I,ll wire that fan to my fan controller . I,ll only turn it on when gaming . the 3 fans on the card make almost no noise at all . I had a hyper 212 and it would make more noise on idle than the 3 fans at 100 % . most of that 120 is actually blowing air towards the gpu heatsink . overkill as hell

Back