• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamer004

i am building my first computer, and was wondering if these specs are good for gaming.....

ABIT IC7-G, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 800MHz Canterwood ATX Motherboard RETAIL

ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128MB 8X AGP DVI/TV RETAIL

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.6CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL

CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 3200 DDR RAM - OEM
(2 sticks)

SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE - OEM

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Wireless Black/Silver Keyboard and Optical Mouse Combo, Model KD-998B - Retail

Unbranded (Manufacturered by AOC) 1995 Beige 19" CRT Retail

SONY DDU1612/B2 BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive (48X CD-ROM Speed) - OEM

im unsure about the processor, im going to wait until christmas so i dont have to pay for it all by myself and im thinking around christmas i might have to get a 2.8-3.0 GHz instead of the 2.6

With a sig like that you are going Intel?

What about Athlon64?

Probably not much more, and it will spank a 3.0!

no way Intel is way more stable and i need stability

i created my sig when i wAS DUMB intel rules forever

Well, you want a good gaming rig. Intel rules? Maybe in some aspects. However, when it comes to gaming, it's AMD that rules.

and like that one guys sig.... AMD = w00t

And another thing... a Sony FDD?
C'mon man......get a Hitatsu at least!

You will find that when you load your game from the floppy it will lag.

Er wait....FFward to 2003.
dooodooolaaloooooo doodooolaalooooo dooodooolaaalooooo...

I just built a system with the 2500 Barton core.

Let me just say I was amazed.

I could have bought the P4 2.4 for $100 more. :(
I would not have been as happy.

This thing roxers yer boxers!

Intel is way more stable than AMD? Not sure what gave you that idea. If AMD chips were not "stable" they wouldn't be able to stay in business. I find it amusing that you said you made your sig when you were dumb but now you are not. You have only been a member here for the last 2 months, evidently you are a fast learner ;)

i have a question,

does a 3200+ AMD go 3.2Ghz??

and if im looking at the specs of a game and it says 2.5Ghz will it still run on my computer evne the the true speed is 2.5Ghz??

Well, you wana build a nice system for gaming. but i would buy an amd chip. well, the hard drive isnt good too, you better go on maxtor hdd.

gamer004 said:
and if im looking at the specs of a game and it says 2.5Ghz will it still run on my computer evne the the true speed is 2.5Ghz??
It will. A 3200+ performance rating means the chip will perform equal to or beyond a 3.2ghz Pentium 4.

The PR officially refers to an equivalent in old Thunderbird Athlon clock speed, but everybody uses it for P4 comparisons, because it's accurate.

Also, that looks like a good system. I would keep the floppy for another year tops. There are still a few things you may be glad to have it for - one of which is installing the occasional driver. The WD800JBs are great drives. I would get an OEM processor, and not retail. Retails are overpriced, come with the mediocre stock Intel HSF, and often aren't the latest and greatest stepping.

There are actually a LOT of people that favor Intel because of stability . . . Whether or not they actually offer any greater degree of stability is up to you, but I'm not so sure there's much of a difference. And generally, what makes a computer stable vs. not stable is who makes the chipset, the RAM you use, and what temperature you run. If you get good quality components and have a good CPU temp, you're probably not going to notice any difference in stability with Intel than with AMD. Wasn't XP made on Athlon XPs anyway? If that's true, one could logically argue that XP would be more stable on an XP than Intel anything. I don't think I believe it, but they would have a point (assuming it's true . . . Maybe I just made that up :rolleyes: ).

As far as the system specs go, the system in your sig is a good system, as is the one you're building. I agree with the retail vs. OEM thing . . . The only incentive to get retail is the bundle it comes with. If you don't need it, there's no reason to pay for it . . .

I think most people will tell you that the Athlon is a better gamer in the majority of games, NOT all of them. Ultimately, these days, it matters much more what video card you have. I read something online (might have been a link from the front page, but I think it was linked from XBitLabs) that a Radeon9700 (or something close) will perform very well even on a PII in a lot of games . . . Take that as you want.

If you want the ultimate gaming experience, and price IS a problem, which you hinted at, then I would say getting a lower end CPU, or switching to AMD, will allow you to get a better video card, and the combination will probably be faster in games than a higher-end CPU with the 9600 . . .

Again, though, if you're persuaded to switch to AMD, you might as well keep your system in your sig . . . Honestly, I personally don't think you'll notice a big difference in games between whichever new system you build and your currernt machine. If that doesn't bother you, then pick whichever you want. But the specs sound good for the proposed system . . .

Z

I'm completely confused . . . Please explain what you mean by that. I was under the impression that the system in your sig is one you already had and that the Intel system the thread was started about was the one you intended to build.

Z

Well I'm still confused . . .

Did you get the answers you need, or can we help in some other way, or have we yet to get to the answers you seek?

Z

Back