• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to building, considering this build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

odinaden

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive ($95)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX ($139)

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($65)

Ram: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX ($76)

Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7850 1GB or 2GB. ($165 - $185)

Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($104)

DVD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM ($19)

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan ($50)

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($60)

Given the little things I've been reading, I'm thinking about this build. Any advice before I start buying parts? Is it all compatible? Any help, critical or not, is welcome. All of this is putting me roughly at $750. I'm 100% new to this, and still thinking about buying a pre-built edition. If I did it would be something like this.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadc70.asp?id=676721&price=$799

Thanks in advance.

going to guse that you are choosing between thoughs 2 cases...I would go withe the HAF 912.

also

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!
  • What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.
(OPTIONAL) Have you already looked at or considered any parts (it's okay if you haven't)? If so, please list your top 1-2 choices for each category. If you've only picked out a few of the below, just list those.
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
  • Case
  • Hard Drive
  • Solid State Drive (optional)
  • Mouse (if necessary)
  • Keyboard (if necessary)
  • Monitor (if necessary)
  • Speakers/Headset (if necessary)
Once again, thank you in advannce for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)
and if you build it your self this is a bit dated but still a good read

(edit I know you already but some parts up but I am lazy and did not want to edit it out :p )

Sorry man. I've been frantically searching for quite some time now.

I normally play games online (DayZ, FarCry3) but have been limited with my laptop. I'd like to be able to play anything I wanted too, with at least average settings. Lately I've been playing a flash based game Dead Frontier and would like to be able to record gameplay using fraps and upload it to youtube nothing more then just for fun. Same with DayZ at a later time, but not really important.

I am from the US and the nearest MicroCenter is 45.56 miles and nearly an hour away.

My budget is roughly 800 dollars.

> Does this include a copy of windows?

I would like for it too, windows 7 preferably.

> Does this include peripheals.

I own my own mouse, and it doesn't HAVE to include these things. I can pick them up later.

Do you have any specific requests with the build?

> Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
I'm not even sure what this is, I am at best a novice.

> Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
As in actual size? Doesn't have to be.

> Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
I would rather not have a jet engine in my ear, but sound isn't VERY important.

> In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
Mixture of both really. I would like to be able to upgrade at a later time but would rather not have to for a few years (3 ish).

>Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

I'm not even really sure what your asking. Sorry.

CPU:

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX ($139)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor $95

Motherboard:

ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($104)

RAM:

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 ($70)

Graphics Card:

Sapphire HD 7850 1GB or 2GB. ($165 - $185)

PSU:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($65)

Case:

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($60)

Hard Drive:

Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive ($95)

Solid State Drive:

Not even sure what that is.

Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, Speakers.

I'll get these at a later time, still suggestions would be nice.

ok so to anwser your questions... overclocking is when you make you gpu/ cpu run faster than what the manufacture set it to like turbo in a car. Crossfire/Sli is when you link 2 gpu's togeather and make them work to geather to get better graphicsspeed/quality and is usealy only for multi monitor setups.And a ssd is like a very large flash drive and is very fast. for example with my ssd my computer will boot to win8 splash screen is about 5 seconds.

also why amd? and if you are recording I would suggest useing the screan recorder function in MSI afterburner as it dose not take up as much prossesing power imho.

also how many monitors and what resolution?

ok so to anwser your questions... overclocking is when you make you gpu/ cpu run faster than what the manufacture set it to like turbo in a car. Crossfire/Sli is when you link 2 gpu's togeather and make them work to geather to get better graphicsspeed/quality and is usealy only for multi monitor setups.And a ssd is like a very large flash drive and is very fast. for example with my ssd my computer will boot to win8 splash screen is about 5 seconds.

also why amd? and if you are recording I would suggest useing the screan recorder function in MSI afterburner as it dose not take up as much prossesing power imho.

also how many monitors and what resolution?

AMD purely for the cost. Seems you get more bang for you dollar so to speak. I would like to go 2 monitors, but it's not needed really. I'll probably stick with just one,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009317

This setup here will do everything I need it too?

How hard is it to actually put the PC together? I've heard it takes a novice about an hour and a half and is similar to putting together complicated lego's.

First you unbox everything on a piece of cardboard on a table. You connect it all. What is the diff between a GPU PSU 8 pin connector and the CPU/Mobo PSU 8 pin connector?

You turn it on. You'll need to set your boot sequence in the Bios so the CD is first in the sequence and make sure it all looks okay, a good time to check your temps in Bios to see that your CPU cooler install is good. You begin windows install if it boots up right. You'll need the PC connected to the Internet. That's 2-3 hours of updates and repeated reboots. Then you install your anti-virus proggy, and no cheap free stuff. Buy Kapersky or something like that before hand. Run a full system check.

Then you test the PC. Run P95 and memtest for a night or 24 hours. If that is all good then you begin to actually put parts into the case. That is 2-5 hours for a new guy. make sure you don't get the standoffs wrong and smoke the mobo. Take is slow if this is your first. You know anyone who can help? That is invaluable. Make them a steak dinner, that's cheap in comparison to ruining a mobo. You'll learn a ton.

What I'm trying to say is I been at this for 20 years, I know the tricks and the pitfalls. If I'm hobby building a PC for me and my family, this is how I do it. I never rush it, even now.

There is NO rush. If it takes a week cuz the things I mention you don't know about yet, then you learn before you do it. Just take it slow, read the manual, even the case to mobo connectors will confuse you to no end till you really read the manual. There are many good and bad Youtube vids and guides on the net. Read/watch some first.

What is the diff between a GPU PSU 8 pin connector and the CPU/Mobo PSU 8 pin connector?

If you bought from a moderately competent PSU vendor, one should say CPU and the other shouldn't...

Maybe some image would help too, op if you can read up on this magazine or download the pdf file, every month, this magazine build a diffrent pc, you will get plenty of idea from reading this

http://www.maximumpc.com/articles/pdf_archives?page=1

I see that parts that Knufire have pick out are very good, may want to go with that and spend an extra $100 on a ssd, ssd will make your life a lot easier while you using your pc, don't believe me,just ask around.

Back