• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this guy legit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iAmCodeMonkey

Read the comment under the review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R23ANMRJX2PL9L

As I have decided to eventually purchase most of my watercooling gear from DazMode, NCIX and Koolance directly in the coming months *, this concerns me.

Here is my updated WC parts list: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ater-cooling-loop-parts-list-Updated-for-2013

* BTW, my mother asked me if there are any water cooling companies that you could buy directly from, and Koolance came to mind as being more cost effective for me. Its not like buying from EK Water Blocks and having to pay for shipping from Slovenia, thats for sure.

Last edited:
BTW, my mother asked me if there are any water cooling companies that you could buy directly from
You can buy Swiftech directly and I would put them far above Koolance. Any reason why you are set on Koolance?

Any reason why you are set on Koolance?

Honestly? Radiator sizes. I measured how tall my current Corsair H50 radiator is on the back of my case, and the Koolance 120mm radiator would fit there perfectly.

I also cannot fit any radiator larger than 120mm in width due to the tight spacing between it and the side panel of my Voodoo Omen case, which the Koolance radiators fulfill.

XSPC and DazMode's Darkside radiators do as well, however. I do have some OCD like SingularityComputers in that I want almost all of my blocks to come from one brand, for some weird reason. I also REALLY like the aesthetics of the CPU-380i water block. :)

Last edited:
Read the comment under the review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R23ANMRJX2PL9L

As I have decided to eventually purchase most of my watercooling gear from DazMode and Koolance directly in the coming months *, this concerns me.

Here is my updated WC parts list: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ater-cooling-loop-parts-list-Updated-for-2013

* BTW, my mother asked me if there are any water cooling companies that you could buy directly from, and Koolance came to mind as being more cost effective for me. Its not like buying from EK Water Blocks and having to pay for shipping from Slovenia, thats for sure.

The guy is just mistaken. There are two koolance models with similar names. The HX CU420 is the copper model, the CU in the model name being the hint. The HX420 is the Aluminium model.
He more than likely simply ordered the wrong one.

The HX-CU models are obviously copper and brass just by looking into the ports.

The guy is just mistaken. There are two koolance models with similar names. The HX CU420 is the copper model, the CU in the model name being the hint. The HX420 is the Aluminium model.
He more than likely simply ordered the wrong one.

The HX-CU models are obviously copper and brass just by looking into the ports.

Just making sure. LOL :D

Well, if you're from canada than yes, Dazmode is the play to go to for custom water cooling stuff. If you're from the states, Frozencpu and Performancepcs got it all. Koolance is one. Than there's Swiftech, EK, Alphacool, Black Ice, XSPC to name the ones off the top of my head for rads and blocks.

If you only got room for a 120.1 mm in your case, sounds like its either a M-ATX or a old designed case, where would you put your res and pump? Just wondering what your plans are and why the need from a AIO to a custom but only single 120.1 loop. For the added cost you're going to spend, I'd probably just grab a AIO again.

Well, if you're from canada than yes, Dazmode is the play to go to for custom water cooling stuff. If you're from the states, Frozencpu and Performancepcs got it all. Koolance is one. Than there's Swiftech, EK, Alphacool, Black Ice, XSPC to name the ones off the top of my head for rads and blocks.

If you only got room for a 120.1 mm in your case, sounds like its either a M-ATX or a old designed case, where would you put your res and pump? Just wondering what your plans are and why the need from a AIO to a custom but only single 120.1 loop. For the added cost you're going to spend, I'd probably just grab a AIO again.

I should have clarified that I have room for both a 120x1 AND a 120x2 radiator. I want to use them as a 120x3 radiator for the best CPU cooling I can get, since Haswell-E is known to be a hot running chip. ;)

I should have clarified that I have room for both a 120x1 AND a 120x2 radiator. I want to use them as a 120x3 radiator for the best CPU cooling I can get, since Haswell-E is known to be a hot running chip. ;)

Ah ok. Can you give us a list of the new system and case so we know whats at hand. Kinda blind with the whole build. We need to see your vision. ;) 120.3 is enough for a CPU + GPU loop if you ever choose to go that route. That also depends on the cases air flow as well hence why I ask to give us the info on the case.

Ah ok. Can you give us a list of the new system and case so we know whats at hand. Kinda blind with the whole build. We need to see your vision. ;) 120.3 is enough for a CPU + GPU loop if you ever choose to go that route. That also depends on the cases airflow as well hence why I ask to give us the info on the case.

Alright then. I will get to addressing this for you guys. ;)

Here is my chosen platform upgrade:
Intel Core-i7 5820K 3.3Ghz (3.5Ghz Turbo) LGA2011-3 (TDP: 140 Watts)
Asus X99-Deluxe
Corsair Vengeance LPX Quad Channel 2666Mhz RAM (DDR4, 32Gb)

I will keep my current and any future GPU(s) on air cooling for ease of upgradability. I will only water cool the CPU. I am not planning on any crazy-high overclocks with this setup, only a mild 3.7 - 4.0Ghz Turbo speed. This IS my main 24/7 rig that I use for programming as well as gaming so I don't want to deal with too much instability.

Here is another loop I am using for inspiration, as our case layouts are identical, along with my pump and res choice:

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5850563

I however want to mount my pump and res in the very top drive bay (the one that is hidden from view), and he told me that it would fit with some acetal shaving from the sides.

Last edited:
You can easily use a cheaper mobo than the Dx unless it has some feature another doesn't? Also, 32GB of ram is a ton. Are you sure you are going to break 16GB used?

You can easily use a cheaper mobo than the Dx unless it has some feature another doesn't? Also, 32GB of ram is a ton. Are you sure you are going to break 16GB used?

The main reason I chose the Deluxe is because you can run 3-way SLI with the 28-Lane CPU on it. I will eventually upgrade my monitor to a 1440P 120Hz panel in the distant future, so I might as well be a future proof as possible. My current AMD platform is positively ancient in terms of upgrading.

I actually asked my mother about RAM capacity, and she pretty much said that since I am spending this kind of money on a rig that I might as well go big on RAM. Here is the total price (with taxes) for each RAM configuration:

16GB: $1,515.20
32GB: $1,937.22

$422.20 difference... I personally am still on the fence about that. I may just go for the cheaper amount as you said.

I have attached my water cooling loop diagram, using an old picture of my case when it was new. Yeah, my artistic skills leave much to be desired lol. I am also still on the fence about my fan selection. DazMode is bringing back the Gentle Typhoon AP-45's in May, but at $22.99 per fan. On the other hand, the Koolance 2600RPM fans are $13.77 per fan.

These: https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/scythe_gentle_typhoon_2150rpm_69cfm_30db_fan/
Versus these: https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/koolance_-_120mm_2600rpm_fan_fan-12025hbk/

Hmmm...

Attachments

• water-cooling-loop.jpg
    water-cooling-loop.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
You can already run 1440p 120Hz with a pair of GPUs. No need to worry about Tri SLI

Yeah, not sure why you're going tri-SLI for 1440p when you could do that with 2 GPUs and still be future proof. You're actually wasting money imho where it can be spent elsewhere.

You still haven't told me what case you're going to be water cooling. Is that the case in the image above? I would save a few hundred and buy a whole new case.

You could find ram at the $200-$300 range for 16 GBs of DDR. No idea where you're getting $1400+.

Also, if you go M.2 SSD OS drive which are blazing fast (2-3 SSDs in Raid0 on one small chip basically), not sure you're able too with a 28 Lane CPU with the multi-GPUs @ 8x. Make sure to take your time and think it all through, plan ahead etc.

Are you not from the states?

Are you not from the states?

Nope. I am from Canada. Everything is a few hundred more over here, especially DDR4.

To address your other points, I would buy a new case, but when I bought this off of eBay six years ago it was almost $400.00 Canadian, so I hope that I can get at least one more upgrade into it, despite its age. It is basically a modified Lian-Li V1100 case. I cannot see myself buying a whole new case, as I would not have room for the leftover one. Plus my particular case is quite rare so I would much rather hang on to it than let it go to waste collecting dust in our basement or something.

How much faster are M.2 drives over SSD's? I already have a Corsair SSD for my boot drive.

And if you are curious, here is my rig: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/5656689

Last edited:
It depends on the m.2 drive. I also thought most (all?) of those are NOT in raid on a stick to achieve higher speeds... Which is part of the point of them. ;-

Honestly? Radiator sizes. I measured how tall my current Corsair H50 radiator is on the back of my case, and the Koolance 120mm radiator would fit there perfectly.

I also cannot fit any radiator larger than 120mm in width due to the tight spacing between it and the side panel of my Voodoo Omen case, which the Koolance radiators fulfill.

XSPC and DazMode's Darkside radiators do as well, however. I do have some OCD like SingularityComputers in that I want almost all of my blocks to come from one brand, for some weird reason. I also REALLY like the aesthetics of the CPU-380i water block. :)
Looking at your case in the pic, you have some modifications that could be done to fit any number of radiator sizes in there. Personally I would remove the big support towards the front, the piece that runs along the bottom above the psu, and all those hdd cages, possibly some of the cdrom drive cages leaving just one or two. Removing all these will probably be little more than drilling out some rivets or removing screws and you will have ample room for a w/c setup.

After that, I would put a Monsta 2x120 in the front and what ever 1x120 you want in the back. Also double check the measurements to make sure you can or can't fit a large radiator running across the top instead of cramming a little one in the back. By the looks of it, you would have clearance issues with the top of the motherboard, but double check. You could also look at the Swiftech radiator mount that allows you to hang a 2x120 off the back.

Your w/c design does not fit your pc build imo. To do tri-sli, or even duel sli and get decent temps you will need much more cooling capacity, and that case can't handle it. For example, I'm only cooling a CPU and a single R290 and I have almost double the radiator you're talking about. Also, you REALLY need to take everyone's advice on the ram amount. You are about to blow a ridiculous amount of money on something that you don't need imo. I would buy 16G, then spend the amount saved on a larger case and still have money left over.

Back