• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this legal by Ebay rules and regulations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekeTorvo

I buy from ebay, and often at that. Things like This make me want to scream. Is it even legal? And who would I speak with? I have more important things to do than to pick this guy apart, but this is flat out misleading.

I have looked for someone to contact with ebay, but found no links. I figured, alot of people at OCF sell there, and would know what to do. Things like this makes me shy away from ebay, and go to regular vendors. Imagine how many other people feel the same. It's your money.

The first picture in his discription is not what you get at all. He does list the item you get, but way down the page.

I found out where to report this auction. I am still curious. Is the way he advertises his product legal?

What the hell are you talking about, did you buy this from him and know that he isn't adding some equipment in or a revised edition.

zspro_02.jpg

That's what he insinuates you get, but it is not what you get.

I see. "Package includes Audigy card and driver CD" but the pic shows the front panel thing with a remote. I guess I feel it is wrong/false advertising, but you just have to watch your own *** by reading the listing thoroughly and comprehending it.

Technically it is fine, as the title description and what you are getting match up. It is merely the picture that is.. a little different than what is being sold. Where as people that know the difference look down upon it, by all means, he knows that it could be decieving, but no where other than a picture he nabbed, (prolly without permission), does it state that it is a Audigt 2 zs platinum.

The main photo that he uses is the right one, I do not find that to be misleading. A person buying this would know what it is espicialy since it says "pci" at the top.

Not necessarily. Some buyers, especially with computer equipment, tend to only look at the pretty pictures and nothing else.

It's a tough call as to whether it's 'legal' or not. I've seen hundreds of this type of listing that are bait-and-switch, and others that are legit but the seller just wasn't too experienced at listing. Unless it's a known reseller, only stock photos are generally a tipoff that something's amiss; the actual auction contents being buried in the fine print that few people actually read is a tad fishy as well.

I see nothing wrong with that auction.. its for a Audigy 2 ZS.. and thats what he said it includes... did he say it was a contract and now hes giving you a way to get this for free?!!? because thats what most do I dont get what youre saying this guy has 12K feed back...

That (selling info or a place in a matrix scheme) is definitely illegal.

What seems to be inviting confusion with this listing is a large stock photo that shows the card, remote, and a tuner box (Teke posted it). The actual text that says all you get is the card and driver CD is down a ways buried in the longwinded specs and shipping info.

There's a subset of buyers who will only look at the flashiest photo and don't actually read specs/description, so in theory someone could cry foul after expecting everything in the photo and receiving what was listed in the text.

The seller clearly copied that large description from the Creative website. Also, the description of the item is NOT for the Platinum pack, but for the sound card and only the sound card itself. In short, the seller has done nothing wrong and/or illegal. And things like this would only be seen as misleading by those who know little to nothing about computers. For those of us with some knowledge, let's add up the facts:

1. The seller has a feedback score of 12,470 with 97.7% positive feedback. Certainly nothing to scoff at.

2. The seller is also an eBay store. Typically, these are power sellers which can be viewed as "safer" than an individual buyer.

3. Because the item is bidding for such a low amount, this should tell you that others clearly understand that this is NOT for the Platinum pack. To this day, the Platinum pack sells for close to $150, but the plain Audigy 2Zs retails for a little under $100. The bidding is more in line with the latter and not the former.

Simply put, you have overreacted to this auction. Not only is it not misleading, but it is most likely a credible sale. I do agree that there are some suspicious things floating around on eBay, but a little deductive reasoning could have eased your tensions here.

deception``

If I auctioned a sound card on ebay and posted a picture of it in the auction, you wouldn't expect me to send you the table it was sitting on.

You'd be surprised at some people...I once fielded a question "Does [the tapestry I was using as a backdrop b/c it was all I had at the time] come with the widget?"

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Anyone with common sense would read the entire auction.

It's just like listing your title as "AMD 3800+ Intel 1.4ghz"
Just because the title says "AMD 3800+" doesn't mean that's what you're bidding on. People do that to return more hits on their item. As long as you read carefully, it's fine.

I remember a while ago when ps2's were brand new, some guy set up an auction and it went over like $500 for it (before they hit shelves, I believe) and it turns out that he had clearly stated "This is just the box of the itme" or something like that. It was misleading only to those who didn't read the whole auction.
Caveat Emptor

EvilCloudStrife said:
i agree with everyone except for you!.... you know who you are

I bet everyone that reads that is thinking the same as I did. WTF did I do? LMAO!

Let this post die please. We are all over it and beyond it. I got the answer to my question a week ago.

Stupid Boy said:
If I auctioned a sound card on ebay and posted a picture of it in the auction, you wouldn't expect me to send you the table it was sitting on.

Oh, and No I wouldn't expect the table. But if you took a picture of a Motherboard with a Processor, and there happened to be a HSF, then yes, I would expect the HSF as well.

I don't find it misleading at all.

At work, we sell some Altec Lansing speakers that are built for use exclusivly with iPods, and they picture on the box, shows an iPod sitting in the speakers, but the iPod is not included.

The description of the item is completely accurate, and the picture, although a poor choice, is not deceptive, since all the details are listed.

Back