• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1nm4n

I have recently started to acquire parts for an upcoming water build, and while fitting I was checking the machined threads of the inlet and exit of plastic housings and saw what looked like hair, started to pick at them with a dental pick and wound up gathering this.

Shavings.jpg

I know these are things that happen during machining, but I don't recall reading anywhere in the beginners guide to water-cooling to check the machined threads for potential objects that could get dislodged and easily stick in the fins of a block. Just thought I'd share so others will know to check for this and avoid damage to their cooling system.

For reference that is a typical cd paper jacket.

That's why it says to flush every part multiple times, to get rid of pieces like that

When you have your Radiators you should use hot water to flush those in to a clear Pyrex jug, you will find all kind of bits out of those. That's why they call it the Radiator Dance, and you should repeat it 2 or 3 times for each one in your system! ;) :thup:

This above gives you a good basic idea as to what to do! :attn:

Ajay.

I got a 12 step program laid out for when the rads get here and it's time to start assembly, not going to clean them and let them sit with any moisture in them for any amount of time. I read a lot of people us vinegar, would it not be safer to use hot water and some dish soap, rinse and repeat then rinse and rinse until it looks clean. Would it be safe to use tap water for the first few rinsing's then switch to distilled, or best to use distilled for the cleaning of the parts? Anyways that's getting off topic. Guess it's normal to find all sorts of bits and pieces in components.

Those bits of plastic weren't just sitting in the inlet/exit threading, they were just not cut my the machine bit, so it took some picking to get them dislodged. I do think it is a good reminder to look at your components prior to assembly and make sure everything is in tip-top condition.

I just used plain hot water out of a kettle, the reason is the heat expands the copper cores, so if anything is trapped inside it should come out, i flushed mine 3 times or till you can not see anymore waste or bits etc!

Just watch the video its a basic way of cleaning them, but its effective as well.

Ajay.

I included all the rinse cycles as part of the 12 step program. I also played with the idea of using that Mayhems System Cleaner. Just not fond of the idea using acid to clean the system, granted diluted enough it woudlnt' hurt the system too poorly, I wouldn't think so anyways. But I'll do the radiator dance and shake and shimmy until it's all nice and clean. I've watched a lot f vids on rad cleaning, but for some reason I can't watch youtube videos, haven't been able to all day.

Back