• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this plausible? <FX-55 bows to the Pentium M?>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sentential said:
What you are omiting is that they increased the latency of the L2 cache ;). They are equal because the latency on the 6xx is higher :-/. Its not because they see no benefit from more cache. It would be like saying that Newcastle sees no benefit from having 1MB of cache (clawhammer).

Yes, they did increase the cache of the 6xx Prescott by approximately 17%. However, the increased latency is easily circumvented once the clock speeds begin to ramp up. Even these higher clocks, the additional cache does not provide a significant boost.

deception``

Getting a cheap CPU to perform better than an fx-55 isn't hard. Heck you can buy a AMD 64 3000+ with a good stepping, an xp-120, DFI NF4u mobo, Some Mushkin UTT for the same or less than you'll spend on a Dothan and mobo and say that a64 hits 2.8ghz it will plain and simple beat a Dothan running @2.6ghz in just about everything.

Yes Dothan does well but you either use an expensive 855 based mobo(over $200) that only supports AGP, or you buy this adapter and run an i865 based board that I believe performs better than the 855. When the 915 chipsets become available in desktop boards i'll start looking becuase they support SATA and PCI-e. However your still limited by your low FSB 533mhz on the new (read expensive) ones.

Edit: this was about 3/4 of the way down the first page when I started it now look where it is.

Nobody is arguing that the Pentium M is a viable desktop platform now. But it does have great potential given the right chipset, better 3rd party support and lower prices.

offtopic: If someone wan'ts to try the DFI board I saw one for like $120 in the classifieds which cuts abunch of money off the intial price, and El<(')>Maxi is getting ready to start benching his new fx-55 and might be willing to participate in a side by side benchmark showdown just to show which ones the best.

This is an awesome thread- Thanks, supernade. I think I'm going to try the Dothan on my P4C800-e dlx with the adapter and WC. It shouldn't be too hard to make a retension mechanism for a waterblock. I'll probably machine something out of aluminum. I'll keep you up to date.

Glad to see intel making some real fast cpu's finally. if sen is right 06 is gonna be a interesting year for intel. I might make the switch!

Back