• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this possible?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ram96

Registered
I just replaced my volcano 9 on my vaxp and 2600+ that read around 40C for a cpu temp and around 30C for system temp.
I put on an sk7 with 80mm tornado.
Now I read a system temp of like 26C and a cpu temp of 22C!
Needless to say I'm estatic but is this possible to have the cpu temp lower than the system temp and if this reading is not accurate, then how did it become inaccurate just by changing the hsf?
I have 2 intakes in front, 2 exhausts in rear + a 92mm stealth in the side panel as well.

No, it's impossible to get a lower cpu temp than the system temp with air cooling..

Also, just switching hsf shouldn't really affect the system temp that much.

I'm not so sure this wouldn't affect system temps considering the 80mm fan overlaps that heatsink also blowing directly on the chipset's hsf.

Also, my rig sits on an oak shelf right in front of a window which is cracked open sucking in below freezing air.

How would you explain the readings all of a sudden then? Doesn't make sense I know.

Does your mobo read a socket or on die sensor? If it reads the socket, then the temps your seeing could be the actual temps, just a bit misleading.

Perhaps your chipset's sensor is in a pocket of hot air, or your socket's sensor is just getting more airflow.

Regardless of the reason, I wouldn't listen to what the sensors are telling you. The CPU is not really cooler than the chipset. Keep in mind that the actual core temp of a CPU is usually about 10C higher than what the socket sensor reads.

Yes it's a socket sensor and I understand they're not accurate.
Regardless of that fact the temp is nearly 20C lower than with the volcano 9. So if it's off by approx. 10C, I'm still very pleased with like 32C?
Meaning my actual cpu temp was more like 50C with the volcano 9.

Ram96 said:

Yes it's a socket sensor and I understand they're not accurate.
Regardless of that fact the temp is nearly 20C lower than with the volcano 9. So if it's off by approx. 10C, I'm still very pleased with like 32C?
Meaning my actual cpu temp was more like 50C with the volcano 9.

I had a Swiftech MCXC370 on my 2100+ XP o/c'ed to 2166 MHz (13x166), 1.70V. The temp got up to 54 degrees C. I then replaced the heatsink with a Thermalright SLK-900 w/Tornado fan and now my high temp under load is 42 degrees C though the CPU is doing 2250MHz (13.5x166) at 1.75V.

And the Volcano 9 is a copper/aluminum hybrid, I believe. Judging from my Swiftech results, the copper/aluminum hybrids aren't the greatest. I've even read that the Volcano 7 is a higher performing heatsink.

Also, when did you check to see how warm the CPU was? When I initially put on the SLK-900, according to the hardware monitor in the BIOS Setup, the mobo temp was 25 and the CPU temp was 22, but that changed as I booted into Windows.

It's been 3 days now of constant running and gaming etc.
Reads the same in the bios as it does in easytune.
Also, I'm not overclocking yet til I get my xms. I can't even disable spread spectrum with this damn kingston to start overclocking.
I stuck some samsung in to test and I could disable spread spectrum and game. With the kingston it's an instant blue screen/reboot. I don't understand that either. I wasn't even overclocking yet, just disabled spread spectrum.
Starting to tick me off tho.

Reading 26C/21C right now. Like I said tho, that oak ledge has the front bottom of my case 6 inches from really cold air being sucked in thru a cracked window with 2-80mm fans.

Last edited:
Back