• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this PSU too weak?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
I'm thinking you're right at this point. I guess there's a reason Apple hasn't put a Quad in the mini yet........ I think I'm going to start looking in that direction.

That's a nice case but those 2 stupid and unnecessary 5.25" bays could be cut out to make it much smaller and better.

Doesn't the mini still run crazy hot with a dual core in it?

Doesn't the mini still run crazy hot with a dual core in it?

with the fan at 1500rpm (the lowest setting) running a 2.0ghz T7200 Merom with a SSD drive it runs about 55C with both cores maxed out at 100% it doesn't go over 100C but I can manually crank up the fan up to 5500rpm depending on how much noise I want to hear. At 3000rpm the fan begins to be noticably audible and the heat is around 85-90C. Cranking the fan up to 3500rpm makes the fan a bit louder (still nothing even close to a regular PSU fan) and takies the cooling down to 80-85C. If you don't mind a mini-turbine on your desk, you can take the fan up to 4000rpm or 5500rpm which will cool things down to 55-60C at full throttle on both cores. At idle and 3000rpms it's about 45-50C.

The mini uses a ducted fan which is actually a blower or what a colleague of mine called a "squirrel cage fan" and is both very quiet and very efficient. You can really feel the hot air coming out of the rear vents.

No way. I wouldnt trust any quad on a 120W PSU. At the most, that thing has 10A on a 12v rail and that is the ABSOLUTE most. It likey has 8A or so with NO LOAD on the 3.3/5v. Less when there is a load. I wouldnt put anything more than a dual core on there. And really, a single would be best.

Between case fans, the mobo, ram, and CPU on load a quad will blow the doors off 120W.

Seriously, check out the HTPC in my sig. Those watt numbers are at the wall. Figure with that low of a draw, the PSU is probably only 75% efficient, if not less, so the system is using 45-54 watts loaded. The 65w quads don't use much more power than my 45w dual. I bet it would work just fine, especially since he won't even have a hard drive in the thing.

Im not going to be the one to tell him some no name 120W total PSU of which we have no idea how much of that wattage is on the 12v is going to power a quad core HTPC rig. I wouldnt do it, no way in......would I do it. :)

Last edited:
Meh, I'd just go a full size HTPC case..... They're built to pretty much the same size a stereo components anway and have that whole stereo look to them. If it fits in then how is size an issue?

Choose quality full sized components and then you don't have to compromise anything else.

Back