• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the SeaSonic M12II any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
So after what I thought would be a mild GPU upgrade to the RX 570, my EVGA 430W PSU just cannot supply the power the RX 570 needs. I currently have an old Antec 500w Earthwatts in there for now. But it only has one 8-pin connector. Which I plug into the motherboard. So I plugged a 6-pin into the GPU. I do have a 1300w PSU but it is loud as heck and of very questionable quality. I run 100% fine with the 1300w PSU and have a few issues with the 500w PSU. And after shelling out the money for the GPU I was hoping to not need a PSU so soon.

I was thinking of this SeaSonic. It is a very old tried and true PSU. It's also cheap. I know from my research it doesn't have all the protections some of the newer PSUs have. So I am in between a rock and a hard place. Is there a comparable PSU out there in the 600w range that is similarly priced? I've looked quite a bit and have been out of the hardware game for a while so I am not sure who is rebadging what anymore. For me reliability is first, quietness is second, cabling and such are a distant third and beyond.

System Specs:

1700 Ryzen (stock but can overclock a bit)
Stock Cooling w/RGB
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi
16Gb RAM
MSI RX570 8Gb
500Gb SSD
1Tb 7200rpm SATA HDD
DVD-RW Drive
3x 120mm RGB Fans

And a bunch of USB Devices plugged in.

not sure what new protections there are, any quality PSU in the last 10yrs or so should have OVP/UVP and OCP as well. i did read a article about that psu, i actually bought it cause it was on sale a while ago. wanted fully modular and seasonic psu, voltage regulation looks decent till it starts to get 450-500watts then the 12v rail sags. i could send the PSU back but at that price point for it, it was hard to pass up. been using the same 450w-SFX psu since 2011ish, so i figured it was time to get a newer one. going to recap the sfx psu for another small pc.

btw there was a review of it on jonny guru but the articles done by OW had to be pulled since he does reviews for another site. i cant recall the site since i rarely keep an eye out for any reviews at all. i know OW does quality reviews of PSU's i just wish they were not pulled from JG site.

Try evga b3 series....

btw there was a review of it on jonny guru but the articles done by OW had to be pulled since he does reviews for another site. i cant recall the site since i rarely keep an eye out for any reviews at all. i know OW does quality reviews of PSU's i just wish they were not pulled from JG site.
?????? He retired in November 2018...

His reviews are all there too...: http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/category/reviews/power-supplies/

RETIRED! see im out of touch, i thought he went to do reviews for another site.

Alaric, most of the links in that thread are broken. Looks like Jonny redid his website.

Evilsizer, from the research I did this design is older than 10 years. Not sure how old exactly.

ED, I currently have an EVGA. I like EVGA. Is this worth the $10 price tag over the Seasonic?

I haven't checked the links lately, that's good to know. Maybe some bored but dedicated mod can follow up on them. The reviews on JG's site are still there, you can just put the relevant make/model info in their search box.

We do (though not at a high volume). Hardforums and TPU are what I can think of off hand.

Well I ended up getting a used Corsair tx850w. Can't beat $25 for a barely used PSU. Thanks for the help guys.

Back