• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this rad mounting OK

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fair enough, thats alot more heat than I produce.
I do know that I cared much less about case ambient when I switched over to water.

I never thought the air from the rad would get warm.....if it is too warm, I will have to go and get a new case, and start again....or weld a new sheet on top and spray it :(

My rad is sitting on top of my case as well, its elevated about 2-3 inches though to allow enough air through. Then I've got a few holes in the top of my case.. 1 for tline. Then I got a 3pack of grommets. Its in the same orientation as yours so I've got 2 barbs pointing down in the front with the lines goign through then a 3rd hole in the middle of the rad on the top of the case to feed wires through.

Temps are pretty good.. its currently not mounted atm though. Gotta work on a solution for that (tried long machine screws but it isnt very stable :p) + I didnt thread the holes and just used nuts to put them on but they shake loose pretty easily. I'd prefer to not make it a permanent mod (ie. glue them) So i'm waiting for some nice brackets that will do the trick :D

Update

wc1sm.jpg

wc4sm.jpg

Looks a bit ghetto but seems to work fine, I am runnning pure distilled water until I can get some blue dye (cant have green in an Intel rig!).

Now its just a case of waiting on this mobo which was meant to come in on Friday and is now supposed to come in on Thursday this week..... :bang head
I have everything else here, but need to wait until the end of the month to get the XT Crossfire master card.

You should consider using additives with your water. Even with all similar metals I still run and anti-corrosive, like a tiny amount of antifreeze (5%). Iodine also works good as an anti-algae.
Otherwise, looks great.

markodude,

I assume that you went ahead and cut large holes through the top of your case, right? Otherwise, the only way air can move through your rad and fans is through those little tine holes that came with the case that shows up on your first round of pics. If that's the case, you'll be really hurting temp wise.

If you haven't cut the large holes yet, then don't bother. Just space up the rad and take off all of that duct tape.

@MoreGooder - I know, too late, my fans blow downwards, and I made the big hole in the case for the air to come through......lets hope it does not get too warm and start heating my system up...

@citronym - I am off to hunt for some blue anti-freeze today ;)

Back