• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this thermal compound any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarrenP

So i needed thermal compound... badly... i'm building a system tonight, and forgot all about the thermal compound when i was at the store picking up everything... F*** me right? yeah so i went to the local computer store... it's like it's set back in 2004... GTX 210's on the shevles all the old stuff... and the guy there tells me this stuff is great... i want to validate that's it's good enough... specs on my signature of my system to be built tonight... the only things i don't have are the SSD's the GPU's and the OS, so think i'm going to throw linux on there or something and run it tonight the way it is with HD 4000 graphics. will this thermal compound be good enough for this "leet" system? Also he gave me some ancient graphics card because i was also looking for an HDMI cable which surprise surprise he didn't have... so he just gave me this old graphics card... which i have no way of telling what is is... other question; will PCI-E 1.0 work in a PCI-E 3.0 port?

thanks for all the help in advance... link to the thermal compound below;
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thermal-Compound-Heatsink-SILVGREASE1/dp/B00006B8DX

No clue.. Grab some MX-2 or MX-4 f you can find it. The difference really isnt that much.

Its good enough though. You dont need every degree C. ;)

So i made a good buy for a nice 10.17? CAN I'll use this stuff for now... until i can get better stuff i guess... Also one other question if i were to put linux on my rig tonight, would i be able to wipe the drive later down the road when i get windows 7 ultimate?

Nope. Whatever you put on your HDD is permanent.

Kidding. Of course you can. Just reformat it when you want W7 on it.

Is reformatting hard? also how would i say, make a bootable USB? would that be difficult to make with my Macbook?

I just realized i just go paid... so i might go get home premium... is it worth the money? or should i save, pay off all the goodies i just got, and wait to get ultimate? if i were to say have 32GB of RAM installed would it only use up to 16? or would it use the full 32 but only recognize 16?

My advice for you, dont live in debt. Id get Pro, Ultimate isnt worth it.

But if you were to get premium, its limited to 16GB so 32GB is useless (like it is anyway for 99.9% of people).

Darren they say Patience is a virtue and i would say slow down a bit, it will still be there the next day! Also when people are rushing to complete things that's the time mistakes creep in and things can often go wrong. I would sit down and write a to do list and as each one is completed tick that off etc. You have quite a way to go before this build is done Darren and still a lot to think about and get right. Maybe these 2 Video's will be a basic guide you and help you. AJ. ;) :thup:

My advice for you, dont live in debt. Id get Pro, Ultimate isnt worth it.

But if you were to get premium, its limited to 16GB so 32GB is useless (like it is anyway for 99.9% of people).

I'll second his response.

Go with Professional over Ultimate. Ultimate just gives you a few extra features that most people will never use anyway. I've been using Windows 7 Professional for over a year now, and I haven't been missing any of the features that Ultimate has that aren't in Pro.

Back