• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is Tj.max 98 safe for i7 2600k ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darwinbeckham

hello everyone , i just installed 'core temp' and i saw that the Tj max is 98 degree celcius :eek: . i think it's not safe for my cpu but i'm not sure. i havent overclocked my cpu , i havent made any changes and here's my configuration :-

case - cooler master haf 912
ram - kingston 8gb ddr3 (4x2)
motherboard - dh67bl
cpu - i7 2600k
hdd - 1tb seagate
psu - 450w cooler master gx series
graphics card - asus hd 6950 2gb

i need to know whether it's normal or is it getting f***ed up inside ??

i am going to upgrade my system in few weeks and m gnna overclock it to 4.8ghz but after looking at tht image , do you think it's possible to run it stable at 4.8ghz after this config :-

case - cooler master haf 912
motherboard- asus maximus v gene
ram - gskill tridentx 16gb ddr3 1600 (8x2)
psu - corsair cx750w
hydro cooling - corsair h80i
graphics card - asus hd 6950 2gb

any sort of help will be highly appreciated as i'm going to overclock it for the 1st tym.

Attachments

• core temp.jpg
    core temp.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,083
TJMax is the temp that the CPU will slow itself down to prevent overheating. Your CPU isn't running at that temperature, it only hit a max of 62C based on the image you posted.

thank you :) .. can you please tell me if it's possible for me to run it at 4.8ghz 24x7 after upgrading my system to the above mentioned specifications ??

It will vary by CPU, but there's definitely a chance. All you can do is try and hope you can get it stable there.

thnx :) .. as i said that i'll be overclocking it for the 1st time , i dont know nuts bout it but yeah i've read many things and i've seen many videos bout overclocking but i want a step by step guide that i can use while overclocking. can someone send me some link which i can refer to which may work as a beginner's guide for me so that i can do exactly what it's shown there coz i wanna play safe :) .. my motherboard is maximus v gene.

T.j max is the same for all 2600k's I would not advise running your CPU at that temp. But it isn't anything you can change.

An H80i will handle a 4.8 overclock without issue.

yeah thanx but i need a step by step guide which i can use while overclocking mine .. can someone plz post some link which shows maximus v gene overlcocking so that i can copy the same while overclocking my cpu ? plzzzzz

There's not much to it, really. Here's a VERY basic example of the OCing process...

1. Increase CPU multiplier
  2. Save and try to boot
  3. If you get in the OS, then start stress testing. If not (crash before in OS), then increase vcore and repeat 2-3.
  4. Once you are stress testing, if you crash, then increase vcore and repeat 2-4. If you pass the stress test, then you are "stable" at that OC.
  5. Repeat 1-4 until you reach your desired OC or temps while stress testing are over 80C or you reach a vcore over 1.45v or so. (temp and voltage limits are just what I would use, and they can vary depending on the person's comfort level)
  6. Done.

This does not mean that your CPU is running at 96c, it means it will heavily slow down to make sure your temperatures get any more dangerous, as they will be already at that point. Your temperatures are fine.

i saw your ram timings 6-6-6-20 and mine is 7-8-8-24 by default ... my ram is gskill trident x ddr3 1600 mhz .. do you think my ram will perform better if i change it's timings to 6-6-6-20 like u ??

It would be a good idea to start with the basics first before you overclock you set up! You should look to download these monitor programs first and read and understand what they do. Once you have done that maybe test your set up with Prime95 to see what your Temps are running at Stock before you start to overclock? AJ. :shrug: ;)

1, http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

2, http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

3, http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

4, http://prime95.en.softonic.com/

The first 3 monitor your set up while testing and the 4 we use to test it for stability. :thup:

i saw your ram timings 6-6-6-20 and mine is 7-8-8-24 by default ... my ram is gskill trident x ddr3 1600 mhz .. do you think my ram will perform better if i change it's timings to 6-6-6-20 like u ??

There's no guarantee that your RAM can run at 6-6-6-20, mine is rated to run at those timings. The RAM will be faster at 6-6-6-20, but it won't be noticeable in everyday tasks. Just like the CPU, all you can do is try running that speed/timing combo and try to get it stable with RAM and IMC voltages.

but i want to get 100% of it's 100% so what should be my ram timings if i want it to perform at it's very best ?

Yeah, it's pretty much trial and error when it comes to running hardware out of spec. Every piece of hardware is different, even if they are the same model. So, there aren't any settings we can guarantee will work.

Back