• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a core upgrade (cpu, ram, mobo)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erosion

Registered
Current Setup:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T (unlocked to 6 core / oc @ 3.62GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
GPU: Sapphire HD 7970
PSU: Corsair HX750
Storage: 1x Crucial M4, 1 x Crucial MX10, 2 x WD Black 2TB, 1 x WD Raptor
Case: Cooler Master: HAF 912

I'm kind of out of the loop and don't pay much attention to hardware until it's time for a rebuild, but I'm leaning towards an i7 setup (haven't had Intel for 2 builds now) and 32GB ram, I do alot of hardcore video editing, compositing, 3d work and gaming, so I'll definitely be utilizing the CPU and Ram..

Will probably be a few weeks before I buy anything..

So what suggestions would you guys give for quality CPU, Ram, Mobo (and maybe CPU Cooler (not counted in the budget)) that meets my needs.

Budget: $500ish @ NewEgg

What's your budget? What will you be keeping and what will you need to replace?

What's your budget? What will you be keeping and what will you need to replace?

The current goal right now is CPU/Mobo/Ram, I've got plenty of life left in my other hardware for awhile.. Anyways for the stuff I do (heavy video editing, compositing, gaming, etc) it's time to beef up my core components. In order to make After Effects/Sony Vegas/Cinema 4D/Etc happy I'm leaning towards an i7 and 32gb ram and obviously a new mobo, while it'll be a stretch budget is $500ish.. bob4933's picks above seem on the right track.

No. Get the cooler I showed you in my first link. I picked that one for a reason. The h60 sucks.

Back