• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is your case on top of your desk or below it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Where do you keep your primary computer in your work space?

• On top of the desk.

Votes: 201 47.1%
  • Below the desk.

Votes: 226 52.9%

• Total voters
I wish I could put mine on the floor. My newest rig is huge at 27"Wx18"Hx18"D and tipping over 50 lbs finished it'd be a pain to work on it on the desk but I got cats. The thick radiators would get clogged in a hurry on the floor.

I have a solution for you: shave them!:clap:

i clean my pc with a air compressor every 2 months and i do a rebuild every 6 months

Bottom would be a minefield for dust at my house.. I have two dogs and within a few weeks I would end up with dust balls the size of a small dog inside my PC.

I said "on top", but I actually am going to mount it on a shelf on the wall to clear my desk space..

Mine is on my dresser, next to my desk :) Too much dust from the dogs and humans and cats and what-not to put it on the floor.

Beside the desk on the floor, picking up dust bunnies. No space on the desk next to my 32" screen. :p

Besides, my desk is so flimsy I think it would collapse under the weight.

I don't understand why anyone would buy a built in drive anymore. I doubt that optical drive reads and writes are faster than USB 2.0 can handle, they look bad on a case, they impede airflow, they waste space that could be better used storing even more 4 TB hard drives. With USB, you can put it wherever you need it, you can easily use one drive with multiple computers, and just i general, how often do you need to deal with optical media? For the average pc user, thats pretty infrequently.

I don't see why anyone would need more than 1 multi-terabyte HDD, so we're even.

Kidding aside, I like internal optical drives to reduce desk clutter. I already have a printer and a USB3 >> SATA dock on my desktop for a triple redundant backup up my important files.

I had mine under the desk behind a door. I found it hard to work on and to keep clean. I finally moved it to the top of the desk where it has been ever since except when I am working on it or rebuilding it.

Mine is on top of my desk, I have a male dog that prevents me from freeing up the space by putting it on the floor.

I wish I could have mine on top but due to having nosey little kids I need to keep it in a locked Cabenet below my desk.

I need to clean the intake filters every few weeks due to the dust :(

I wish I could have mine on top but due to having nosey little kids I need to keep it in a locked Cabenet below my desk.

I need to clean the intake filters every few weeks due to the dust :(
Looks like you already have a solution. I wanted to share another option, in case you would like to let your machine have some fresh air.

When my brother in law's children were small. I helped him with small kid/computer issues. Mostly, they would 'help hit' the power button or the ROM drive tray release. Usually at the worst times.
My solution was based on epoxy and plastic sheeting. With some child potty locks. To keep the toddlers from pushing the machine over. We opted for Velcro tape (on the bottom of the machine/desk.) Which was really effective keeping it in place.

With modern OS power features. It is pretty easy to disable the (physical) power button. Which would give you options to encourage, not 'randomly pushing buttons like Dad.'
Go into Power Options: Select, Choose what the power button does. [L/H panel] Do nothing, and simply use the Start orb for shutting down.. ETC.

If they are hitting the ROM tray. Just do like my brother in law did at first... Tape a wad of hygiene tissue (butt tape or nose wipers,) with a bit of cello tape on the ROM face or button.

Last edited:
Looks like you already have a solution. I wanted to share another option, in case you would like to let your machine have some fresh air.

When my brother in law's children were small. I helped him with small kid/computer issues. Mostly, they would 'help hit' the power button or the ROM drive tray release. Usually at the worst times.
My solution was based on epoxy and plastic sheeting. With some child potty locks. To keep the toddlers from pushing the machine over. We opted for Velcro tape (on the bottom of the machine/desk.) Which was really effective keeping it in place.

With modern OS power features. It is pretty easy to disable the (physical) power button. Which would give you options to encourage, not 'randomly pushing buttons like Dad.'
Go into Power Options: Select, Choose what the power button does. [L/H panel] Do nothing, and simply use the Start orb for shutting down.. ETC.

If they are hitting the ROM tray. Just do like my brother in law did at first... Tape a wad of hygiene tissue (butt tape or nose wipers,) with a bit of cello tape on the ROM face or button.

Its not so much of the falling over thing thats the problem, the problem is if i had a "Normal" desk instead of a cabnet, they would climb it when i wasnt looking (i have a 1.5 y/o and a 3 nearly 4 y/o).

i do like the idea of the strapping the pc down though :)

On the desk. Sitting on the floor sucks in so much dust, you'd be amazed at how much longer it will stay clean if elevated off the floor.

On the desk. Sitting on the floor sucks in so much dust, you'd be amazed at how much longer it will stay clean if elevated off the floor.

its so true, The big fans on my case seem to just suck air straight in. Im looking at building a box to elevate it, or just get a bigger desk, not sure yet.

I have a very large "L" shaped work station desk that has tons of space. But to maximize it, I have my PC sitting on a two drawer file cabinet that lines up perfectly at the end of my desk. That way it keeps it off the floor to reduce the amount of dust and keeps it at eye level for viewing. Works and looks great.

*+

Back