• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ISO: MASSIVE tower, (Cooler Master HAF Stacker isn't out of the picture, yet)...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tekkie

Hey gang. LOOOOOOOOOOONG time lurker (I think I even had an account here at one point in time, LONG ago), first time poster. I think anyway...

With the pleasantries out of the way: I'm in search of a MASSIVE tower. I don't need portability. I don't particularly care for a rack mount, as I just donated a 4x Xeon server 2U rackmount to a lab my employees run. This is for my home/office.

I currently have my system set up in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro case, which I purchased all hardware pre-assembled in. Specs for the rig aren't all that important at the moment in my opinion, but if you think it will help, I will post. It's an E-ATX board, though.

Current architecture is such that the system runs Win10 as the host for gaming, and VM's (all linux) for all the good stuff. I currently have 7 HDD's installed, and have little/no space for improvement. The 2 TB drive for the host/guests, and 6EA 3TB Hitachi's in raid configuration for data. In order for me to increase storage capacity, I need to grow into a larger chassis. I currently have 6EA 3TB's in stand-by still in OEM wrapping, and 2EA 3TB drives as hotswap spares. I'd rather not consider making the jump to 2.5" drives, as that will require me to purchase all new disks.

What I'd REALLY like to do, is focus on getting all drives under one roof, without needing a 4U rackmount chassis. I'd also like to hear other options than just the HAF Stacker from CM, as that's the only one (aside from the Antec 1900) I've found that can meet my requirements. Is there anything else out there? Something that wouldn't require custom work? 24~30TB usable storage (depending on raid configuration I choose) would put me back down to 50~60% raid pool utilization, which would be AWESOME. As it stands right now, I'm almost full from the 12TB usable storage that R6 (raidz2) gives me.

NOTE: While JBOD isn't out of the picture either, I'd rather try and keep everything under one roof, as previously mentioned. If it just makes more sense to do JBOD USB 3 or eSata, I would not argue though.

Oh, and I'm in South Korea (Seoul). Another reason I ask these questions. It's rather difficult for me to speak the native tongue as I'm still trying to grasp the basics, and being able to point me in the right direction will help save me some money in the long run. Shipping from the states is EXPENSIVE, even to APO addresses. the Antec 1900 for instance is around $150 to ship to my door. That's a 3TB drive I can add to my space heater ;)

EDIT: almost forgot... While being quiet isn't the utmost priority, it shouldn't be any louder than your typical household 16" floor fan on low-mid speed. That would kill me. Well, the wife would kill me if she could hear it anywhere near as loud as the 2u server did. :D

Last edited:
What's the budget for the case?

I hadn't even thought about that, honestly. I mean, I don't want to spend a grand on a case, but $300~$400 is okay I suppose. I almost bought a "Nanoxia Deep Silence 5" case, that would support the number of drives I have for around $200USD. Unfortunately the vendors I tried to purchase the case from said after I sent money that the case was no longer in stock. :(

Does anything from CaseLabs fit your needs and budget?

The CL STH10 would definitely fit my needs as far as overall space requirements, but budgeting one out to actually support the equipment would run me north of $750~$800. Getting pretty close to insanely priced for just a case.

I believe I've found what I was looking for; now to see if I can get it here without breaking the bank :) Nanoxia Deep Silence 6. 13 HDD bays, 4 5.25" bays which I can use 3 bays to increase capacity with 4 more 3.5" drives.

That's what I figured, but it was worth a shot.
How many total HDD's is to to get them all in one case?

Cooler Master Cosmos II has 13 hdd bays... but it looks really stupid imo haha. 349$ here in usa

LIAN LI PC-Q26A has 10 hdd bays, looks clean and is 179$ here

Hard target to hit unfortunately, not a lot of options.

Oh! The Xigmatek Elysium.
12x 5.25" drive bays, you can get 4x 3.5" HDD adapters to fit in 3x 5.25" bays for a total of 16 drives.
Should fit into your budget.

At a minimum, 13 x 3.5" HDD's. 12 x 3TB drives, and 1 x 2TB drive. I'd consider migrating the OS/VM drive (2TB) to 2 x 1TB SSD's, but that would cost a pretty penny. Will wait until the new SSD tech is flooding the market and drops the price of the 1TB or 2TB SSD's.

Cooler Master Cosmos II has 13 hdd bays... but it looks really stupid imo haha. 349$ here in usa

I'm noticing this more and more :( Cosmos II will likely cost me around $450~$500 USD here. If I bought on eBay or Amazon, shipping would kill me too.

12x 5.25" drive bays, you can get 4x 3.5" HDD adapters to fit in 3x 5.25" bays for a total of 16 drives.

I did look into the Xigmatek. I did see it comes with two adapters for 8 drives total, however I'd have to special order additional cages which would not be the end of the world, but I'd have to find them first.

- - - Updated - - -

At a minimum, 13 x 3.5" HDD's. 12 x 3TB drives, and 1 x 2TB drive. I'd consider migrating the OS/VM drive (2TB) to 2 x 1TB SSD's, but that would cost a pretty penny. Will wait until the new SSD tech is flooding the market and drops the price of the 1TB or 2TB SSD's.

I'm noticing this more and more :( Cosmos II will likely cost me around $450~$500 USD here. If I bought on eBay or Amazon, shipping would kill me too.

I did look into the Xigmatek. I did see it comes with two adapters for 8 drives total, however I'd have to special order additional cages which would not be the end of the world, but I'd have to find them first.

Guess you could say this thread is 'solved'.

I went to one of the many Electronics Markets here in Seoul, and found a Lian Li PC-A76X case for what I felt was a decent price (300,000 won). 12 internal 3.5" bays and a few 5.25" bays (I have my current 3.5" OS drive in a 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter), so everything will fit nice and tidy. :)

Thanks! The only downside of course being that my system board only has 10 sata ports. I thought I could simply head to the electronics market and pick up a PCIe sata card, but no dice. Ended up having to order one from Amazon instead. My next purchase will need to be a much better PSU. Current PSU is only 500w, much to my dismay. I'll need at least a 700w or 750w that is auto-voltage since my 500w PSU is 220v only.

I am planning on getting the cosmos 2 I like the look of it. I am not sure why most people don't. But then again I need a computer that sits high off the floor so the carpet isn't in the way. Plus it has a lot of options for fans and fits the 360mm radiator I want.

Back