• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues Overclocking EVGA 1080TI FTW3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fuzzy

Hi everyone,

I am having some weird issues and hoping someone is able to help me understand what's going on.

I had this card running with the stock cooler and everything was fine, except for the heat. I was able to run Precision XOC and just enable KBoost and have my gpu clock running nicely around 1800 MHz, but between 75-80 degrees.

I received the hybrid cooler for Christmas and thought everything went smoothly. I booted up and speeds were running at the default clock (1569 core and 1376 mem) with the temps down in the 30's, woohoo!

I load up XOC and can't get much done because any sort of overclock now freezes the computer. When it comes to, everything is bogged down and Windows essentially becomes a slideshow. I restart, uninstall everything (even driver with DDU) and reinstall (same drivers and same XOC version). Try to overclock again after restarts, same result.

At this point, I switch to MSI AB. I increase core and memory clocks, hold my breath and hit apply. Success, computer is still alive! Head over to GPU-Z and notice discrepancies between the default tab and sensors tab (screenshots attached).

Now I understand these cards will reduce clocks when card is not at 100% load, but I am running 100% load and I cannot get the core clock to increase for the life of me. The other weird quirk I have is that whenever I try to just increase the Power Limit by just 1%, computer freezes up. I don't believe it's a heat issue as temps look better than before, but could it be the cooler's fault still? Also, I can't seem to mess with the voltage at all. Funny thing is, when I OC the memory, the voltage drops down. I think it was running at ~850mV stock.

Any help, advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

gpuz-default.gif gpuz-sensors.gif
msi-afterburner.jpg

Have you tried playing around with different drivers? I had to play around with my drivers on the 1070 to get anything stable. These Pascals don't really handle overclocking that well. Stereo555 has the same exact card (on air) and playing with it for over a month, best he could do with the core alone is 2000. He doesn't mess with the mem as he states it gets deminishing returns.

Also try overclocking with this method using the GPU Boost 3.0 - Voltage/Frequency Curve Tweaking. Might help:

https://thepcenthusiast.com/how-to-overclock-your-geforce-gtx-1070/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-1080-overclocking-guide-with-afterburner-4-3,2.html

My ram on my card can OC
Around 520 ish but get better scores at +400-420
Is it possible that with the hybrid your gfx vrm and ram ADR hotter than before? Point a fan at the card does it help ?
Have you done a remount?

I have an EVGA 1080ti iCX edition.
I run typically +100 core and +400-600 on my ram no issue. Actually have run it upwards of +700 on ram without issues! Set my power limit and voltage to the max and let it go. Temps for me are in the 60-65C range typically, your temps seem so hot and probably why the core clocks aren't going high. My core sits between 1900-2000 when gaming (closer to the 2000 mark). I haven't messed with the voltage tables yet but potentially could get it higher into the 2100 range or at least more of a stable clock vs the up and down it does.

Edit: Surprised the FTW3 edition memory is so low... only 5000Mhz out of the box? Mine is 5500Mhz out of the box before OCing. And NM most likely that is 2D clocks.

BTW in your first post, crank up the fan speed! Only at 9% get it up near 40-50% at least, brings the temps down and your clocks should go much much higher!

Last edited:
have you checked what P-state youre hooking? maybe you're just not hooking the top state.

what program are you using to load the GPU?

I'm with ||Console|| I would check my installation. Make sure everything is the way it should be. If something is getting too hot it won't hit the higher boost clcks like it should

Back