• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It is still alive, after more then 10 years, on the original install of Win2k!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I'm not sure if I've posted this here before, perhaps I have. The longevity of this system is simply incredible. This IBM NetVista tower (P4 Willamette 1.8ghz w/ 512mb RAM, Geforce 2mx, and a 30 GB IBM Deskstar HDD) is still running the original install of Windows 2000, more then ten years later.

A testament to IBM hardware quality, the quality of NT, and careful use. The fact that it was used as a phone logs server for a PBX system, among other things like F@H for a couple of years, where it ran mostly unattended 24/7 for eight and a half years, has something to do with that longevity. Perhaps the most amazing part is that the hard drive, an IBM Deskstar, is still running fine.

Tower - pic
Inside - pic

Long live this NetVista and Win2k install, keep on keeping on.

Attachments

• stillalive2.gif
    stillalive2.gif
    88.5 KB · Views: 110
:). My family has been running Windows XP/2000 dual boots for 10+ years, there is no need to upgrade those things for them. They run great. Voltage failure of CPUs due to high overclocks is my biggest problem with those systems.

Perhaps the most amazing part is that the hard drive, an IBM Deskstar, is still running fine.

Do you realize how accurate that statement is? It is absolutely positively amazing... that you have an IBM Deskstar still running.

The IBM Deskstars Deathstars made around year 2001 had astronomical rate of failures. As amatter of fact, they were so bad that they ruined IBM's reputation in the hard drive business, which IBM exited. Several years later I remember IBM Deathstar drives making top 20 Worst Tech Products of All Time lists in PC magazines. :rofl: :shrug: You still have a running Deathstar 10 years later? I would submit that to Ripley's Belive It or Not Museum. A running IBM Deskstar!? Wow. :thup:

:D

This is amazing. It reminded me that I still have a 5.25-inch quantum Bigfoot that is still alive. 3600rpm 4.3GB

This makes me miss my IBM Aptiva. Luckily I have my Model M keyboard from 1993 still in use that looks brand new to remind me.

That's the cleanest 10 year old rig I've seen! :thup:

LOL, you're never going to let me live down that dusty Ultra-D are you? ;)

When I opened this IBM there was a big dust bunny on the bottom of the case, it must've conveniently hid from the picture. :D

\dev\goat said:
man windows 2000 was so good.

I agree, it is one of my favorite Windows ever. Driver support, especially for printers, was a little iffy at first but the trade-off in stability compared to Windows 98 at the time was totally worth it.

c627627 said:
You still have a running Deathstar 10 years later? I would submit that to Ripley's Belive It or Not Museum. A running IBM Deskstar!? Wow.

Here is a diskinfo I just ran on it. I have never noticed those "reallocated sector" errors before, this is the first time I've ran a disk info program on it to the best of my memory. The drive has given no indication that there are any problems with it in all of this time. Looks like its best days may be behind it. :(

Attachments

• drivestats.gif
    drivestats.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Back