• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's AS3 not AC3 -- Get it right dammit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grunjee

I call for heightened vigilance against this and other similar mistakes which are causing untold confusion and wasted posts on the forum.

Let's keep our forums clean and intelligent. Let's not say "AC3" when we're talking about AS3. "But I was typing fast".... so slow it down a little. Take 5 seconds to proofread your thread title, that's all it takes.

We all make mistakes, but in the past 3-4 days I have seen 3-4 threads making this same mistake. It is a BAD mistake and needs to be killed before it spreads.

How about posting some more common and unacceptable mistakes in spelling, terminology, abbreviations etc. Feel free to list 'em.

Here we go:

1. It's spelled Vinyl (Thanks Illah).
2. Arctic Silver is AS (Not AC) -- so AS3.

Last edited:
I was using a bit of sarcasm there, I don't really mean for the mods to ban people.

What I had in mind is more of an active attitude us "older" members should take. Those of us who set the example, and keep the forums halfway intelligent... not to let this stuff slide and get out of hand.

And yes, it has gotten bad lately.

wow i didnt notice lol

it is our duty of course. but when typing at speed (as some of us tend to do) its easy to type ac3 instead of as3.
also its easy to mis-spell words like vinyl.
i can live with it, but it is slighly annoying to see mistakes like being left un-corrected

grunjee said:
I call for a zero tolerance policy on this and other similar mistakes which are causing untold confusion and wasted posts on the forum. Perhaps a week's vacation would be in order.

Btw if anyone even looks at this thread, how about posting some more common and unacceptable mistakes in spelling, terminology, abbreviations etc.

Here we go:

1. It's spelled Vinyl (Thanks Illah).
2. Arctic Silver is AS (Not AC) -- so AS3.

Whoa! Zero tolerance? Maybe be careful with this.

When people type at speed, mistakes are made. It happens. It could be a computer pro who is on his/her lunch break and in a hurry.

As long as someone points out the mistake, no problem IMO.

Going on a rant isnt that constructive.

David

Hmmm...perhaps a general improvement in spelling and grammer and punctuation is needed?

David

A zero policy on spelling mistakes ???

So who do we ban for the word 'Colour' or 'Color' the Americans or the English ???

It must be the Americans after all the language is English which means we have it correct :D

UnseenMenace said:
So who do we ban for the word 'Colour' or 'Color' the Americans or the English ???

The British, if you please. We speak english up here as well :rolleyes:

albeit a slightly different version of english :D

David

Oh man.. I'm in trouble because my spelling sux..... (hmm... does that count?)

The scarry thing is, I was an English major at one time.. I can write a paper 20 pages long and fill it with all kinds of information, be gramaticly correct, correct punctuation(sp?), but, if I don't have a spell checker, I'm done...lol

I do know what you are talking about though...Although, I'm not sure that a simple mispelling like AC3 is going to seriously hinder someone's learning ability here..

(Just a side note, does this actually belong in the cooling section just because AS3 is mentioned? )

UnseenMenace said:

Either spelling is correct... I'm not on an anti-British spelling campaign here at all... mostly the abbreviation mistakes (such as AC3 when you mean AS3), and common overclocking terminology like "Vinyl."

Ok, I edited out the zero tolerance stuff and tried to make my original post more "friendly" and clear. I think now it refelcts more accurately what I was trying to say.

dude. i am studying to be a teacher of adult education. i have a slight obsession for grammar and SPELLING. the amount of threads and posts that i come across with simple mistakes is astounding. this 'ac3' is not really a big deal. :p
this is a trivial thread and should be shut down.

Gotta remember though, for us in the know, we can tell when someone says "AC3" (or AS3 for that matter) in the cooling forum, that they really mean "Artic Silver 3". We dont have to go looking through a book of acronyms just to figure out this strange new terminology being used. But for the newbie who just happened to trip into these forums and its the first time they see "AC3" and "AS3" being mentioned as something that "needs to be spread across the surface of a heat spreader¹ or cpu die²..", it could lead to some confusion. Epecially since "AC3" refers to a Dolby Digital encoding method used in DVD media, and has absolutely nothing to do with cooling.:p

1 - Another term that would keep a newbie guessing for a while.
2- Ditto.

UnseenMenace said:

i say ban everyone. also, everyone that uses complimicated words should be banned :D

seriously, it's not a big deal. everyone makes mistakes, i know i do all the time :p

what i don't like is when people do this 'i'm trying 2 overclock my....' that's what get's me. using a number to replace a word.

Dude Grunjee !!! Damn you beat me too it !

I have been talking about posting a thread about this whole matter !
I think that there has been a serious increase in AC3 popups.
I think thats a bit odd... then maybe it's just because I have been more active lately.. LOL ! :D
Still it is on a tolerable level, and where ever I stumble across it I'll mention it. So, I hope ppl out there are learning. :)

Mpegger said:
Gotta remember though, for us in the know, we can tell when someone says "AC3" (or AS3 for that matter) in the cooling forum, that they really mean "Artic Silver 3". We dont have to go looking through a book of acronyms just to figure out this strange new terminology being used. But for the newbie who just happened to trip into these forums and its the first time they see "AC3" and "AS3" being mentioned as something that "needs to be spread across the surface of a heat spreader¹ or cpu die²..", it could lead to some confusion. Epecially since "AC3" refers to a Dolby Digital encoding method used in DVD media, and has absolutely nothing to do with cooling.:p

1 - Another term that would keep a newbie guessing for a while.
2- Ditto.

Wow.. didn't know that little tidbit about dolby digital encoding method.... I learned something new today :D

Back