• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iTunes - How to backup ALL settings before a format?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I am building a new computer for my older brother's birthday. I'm upgrading his 2.4 celeron to a 3600+ X2 Brisbane overclocked.

His iTunes and his iPod is the majoriy of his computer life (iTunes is his #1 priority on his computer). I know I can backup the iTunes music folder EASILY as data (which I already did), but how can he keep all of his settings, playlists, and whatnot...

Basically, I already built the new computer (w/out ATX case just to get windows installed), and when I installed iTunes and imported the backup up music folder, everything is organized by iTunes default technique.

He had spent hours downloading new album covers, and organizing everything the way he wanted... I've NO CLUE how to get all of that mimicked onto the new machine.

Anyone have a clue? He told me he's spent hours on making his iTunes all nice and sweet (and no joke I've seen it... really nice work).

P.S. I did try to do the EXPORT and EXPORT LIBRARY functions, and then IMPORT it on the new machine, but it didn't really do much... or maybe I did it wrong.

Thanks.

all settings are saved in
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Apple\iTunes

i think thats the exact path....if not try
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple\iTunes

i usually just copy that whole iTunes folder over

smokie mcpott said:
all settings are saved in
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Apple\iTunes

i think thats the exact path....if not try
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple\iTunes

i usually just copy that whole iTunes folder over
so copy that over, and then what about the music files... does the path have to be exactly the same as before the format (or older PC)? what if the path of the music files changes... would that affect his new album pix, playlists, etc (i would think it would affect the playlists, since they should be shortcuts)....

thanks, man... you rock.

Back