• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge flops; AMD users can take heart

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
. . . I think a lot of people expected more from IB than was advertised. I think bulldozer advertised more than what it delivered.

The truth in a nutsell, I.M.O.G.

IB seems to be Intel's effort to erode the APU market that AMD was successfully developing rather than being an effort to make a killer CPU in and of itself. Because of AMD's acquisition of ATI, however, and the GPU expertise that affords it may be a tough go in the long run.

3.7% is the average of a bunch of arbitrarily selected apps that 60% of people may use one or two of. Better to look at apps specific to what you use to make a good decision. One is 0% better, a few are 1.5% better, and a few are as much as 7% or so better.

I hope Piledriver is more competitive. It just doesn't help when they dig a big hole... When you lose 5-15% IPC going from deneb/thuban to bulldozer, a 15% improvement (claimed by AMD marketing) sounds like what we wanted Bulldozer to be, but 12 to 18 months late... And hopefully 15% isn't a best case scenario in benchmarks we don't pay attention to.

Haswell is supposed to be another SB sort of jump (tock)... If it is all that, it will be a pretty hostile environment for Piledriver.

From what I have gathered, haswell has been pushed back a quarter. Considering that at least some people may be waiting for a revision on ib. It is likely that the battle is not piledriver vs haswell but piledriver vs ib stepping 2. In all actuality I think amd's timing with piledriver will be perfect (or at the very least, the most their board could hope for.) It will be a very interesting Q3.

Ivy Bridge didn't flop at all, it was literally basically just Intel touching up Sandy Bridge and moving to a smaller manufacturing node. Great for them, but just not totally relevant for consumers.

And IB is more efficient to boot! Why worry about spanking AMD further when that is already par for Intel's course. Intel is lowering TDP's and increasing efficiency over SB while still slightly improving (their already "AMD Destroying") SB's performance (and a sizeable bump from the HD4000 IGP as well - up to 50% faster than SB in some tests!) ...

The side effects of exccess heat when runing outside IB's stock design specs are indeed a concequence of tailoring the fab process for efficiency over raw overclockability (which would have been at the expense of low V-Cores and lower TDP's).

:cool:

And IB is more efficient to boot! Why worry about spanking AMD further when that is already par for Intel's course. Intel is lowering TDP's and increasing efficiency over SB while still slightly improving (their already "AMD Destroying") SB's performance (and a sizeable bump from the HD4000 IGP as well - up to 50% faster than SB in some tests!) ...

The side effects of exccess heat when runing outside IB's stock design specs are indeed a concequence of tailoring the fab process for efficiency over raw overclockability (which would have been at the expense of low V-Cores and lower TDP's).

:cool:

Yeah why indeed.

I must say it was very gracious of Intel to minimize its performance gains to such a small amount, and not to make more than a few watts gained in power efficiency despite its 77w TDP.

This should give AMD a solid chance to catch up there, very nice of Intel, that.

But i am especially amazed at Intel's generosity when they decided to make it run even hotter that SB when SB already ran hotter than any AMD, and then also made it more difficult to get it to the higher clocks.

Yet the best one for me is the IGP performance, leaving it short by a large amount against AMD's old out going APU's when AMD's new APU's are a large amount up on that predecessor.

Pat yourselves on the back Intel, you deserve it.

If i do but an Intel Chip, its going to be Sand Bridge. No way will it be Ivy Bridge.

Last edited:
Back