• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a 3258 on an ASrock Z97 Anniversary. Let's OC!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Old thread but good read. How far did you take that G3258??

Im still on stock voltage and im at 4ghz....hottest ive seen it is 77c with the stock cooler.

This is my G3258 voltages using a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 mobo.

Core Cache Volt
48 41 1.550 @ 8*c idle
47 41 1.450 @ 8*c idle

47 32 1.527
46 32 1.360
44 40 1.290

Was able to run Intel Extreme Tuning Utility benchmark without crash at all those settings.
4800mhz core and 4100mhz cache gave me 351 marks in the benchmark.

4.4 was what i used daily, and it was stable with P95, OCCT.

P95 27.7x does have AVX instructions, just not the newest AVX. I think you are wise to avoid the newest version of P95 for as you already know it skyrockets temps about 10c higher than the 27.7x version. Personally, I think the older version of P95 is just fine for establishing stability as long as you can pass it for 2 hr. or so. Driving temps through the roof doesn't prove anything about stability necessarily. When running normal apps you won't get anywhere near the temps that P95 27.7x produces, much less those produced by the latest Prime95 version. I'm using P95 27.9 myself. But I also use a other apps in a cocktail to get a more well-rounded stress test. So I use P95 and also IBT (high/very high setting), AIDA64 and 3DMark. P95 is still the main tool in the arsenal however.

I recently got a G3258 and was disappointed. I could not get it past 4.3 on 1.275 vcore. Adding more vcore doesn't seem to help, at least to the point where I would feel safe running it 24/7. It seems that many of the earliest production G3258s would commonly get to 4.8 ghz or so. But as production of the quad core Haswell's became more reliable and fewer duds were turned out and made into G3258s then those high clocking G3258s were no longer available. At least that's the explanation I ran across and it makes sense to me as we have seen this phenomenon before.

You might also mess with the Ring ratio and Ring voltage. A higher Ring Ratio improves performance because it speeds up the cache. Try about 33x and 1.2v.

The research I have done makes me wary of going higher than 1.3 vcore on the Haswell CPUs for 24/7 use, even if temps are controlled.

Last edited:
Back