• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help selecting a Z97 mATX mb for an I5 4690K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Perre

Hello,

As the title says, I am currently looking at picking a Z97 mATX board to use with an i5 4690K. I am planning on doing a decent OC for everyday use, and mainly for gaming. I want this rig to make a small footprint at home, hence the mATX formfactor.

The other components I am considering getting are:
Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E
CPU-cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB
GPU: Radeon R9 280X or R290
PSU: EVGA PowerSupply SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W
SSD: Crucial M500 SSD 2.5" 240GB

The motherboards I've been looking at are:

ASRock Z97M Anniversary
ASRock Z97M OC Formula
Asus Z97M-Plus
Asus Gryphon Z97
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
MSI Z97M Gaming

I don't need any fancy extras, just a decently priced motherboard for a decent overclock. I wouldn't say I'm on a strict budget, but if I can keep the costs down I won't cry.

Also any other comments, ideas or thoughts on the other parts are welcome. I recently had a Z68 mb with an i5 2500k @ 4,5GHz and a GTX 580 ROG graphics card. I sold it, but soon realised I badly needed a rig to game on when the need came over me :)

Edit: I mostly used ASUS the last couple of years and have good experience with them. I am however willing to try something else out.

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
I would pick any of these motherboards as all will give about the same during overclocking for a daily rig ( so up to ~4.8GHz ).
Simply check what features you need , additional ports etc and get the cheapest board of the list.

ASRock Z97M OCF is well designed board and probably one of the easiest for overclocking. In most cases BIOS will change voltages and some other options for you when you leave it at auto. I'm not sure what about non OCF series.
There are also good reviews of Gigabyte gaming boards.
I'm not a fan of MSI but it will probably work fine too.

Thanks for the replies.

Money-wise I am not going to save any considerable amount of money by picking one over the other, with the exception of the ASRock Z97M Anniversary. Would that be a bad choice? I don't want to risk running into problems for being cheap.
Otherwise I'll just compare the features and pick the cheapest one I guess.

For me Gryphon or ASRock OCF look best. I mean power section etc. If price is similar then I would pick one of these two. I actually had Z97M OCF and it was great but not enough "extreme" for me ;)

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go with either the Gryphon or OC Formula depending on which one is cheapest/in stock on the day I order everything. They both have everything I want, and a little more.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out!

Last edited:
Back