• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got done setting up my server...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

And WOW. I haven't been this impressed with an OS in a long time. What's weird is every little thing I can come up with works perfectly under Ubuntu 8.10. Even my side scroll worked without configuration.

The only hiccup I've had so far is one I fully expected: my sound cards not intermingly quite right. I know how to fix that but I'm being lazy.

At any rate, I'm off to see if I can get this CAD program the girlfriend needs working... if I can't, no biggie... but still gotta try.

I did the same on my desktop last night with 8.10. I am very impressed with the work the linux community has done in ironing out the kinks over the last few years.

I did the same on my desktop last night with 8.10. I am very impressed with the work the linux community has done in ironing out the kinks over the last few years.

Ubuntu allows installation of nspluginwrapper by default, so when it says I need flash it just does it. That impressed me first off, and second off, right now I'm installing a copy of Windows XP I've got sitting around... on vmware player... asurprisingly that's stupidly responsive. I'm just impressed with the speed.

I've heard it several times:

Old Computer + Linux = New Computer.

if Ubuntu impresses you, then you should consider having a look at Mint its quickly getting the reputation for being Ubuntu done right and is a great distribution.

if Ubuntu impresses you, then you should consider having a look at Mint its quickly getting the reputation for being Ubuntu done right and is a great distribution.

I don't know how big the user base for mint is... but Ubuntu did it right first thing for me. I'm not going to fix it if it ain't broke. if I run into issues setting up dedicated game servers, I'll consider it, but until then I'm 100% satisfied. I am going to see if I can get Xbox 360 media sharing to work with my Linux server. If I can, I can seriously see all my media files getting moved over to the linux box permanently. And I can leave this thing on 24/7 without issue.

I don't know how big the user base for mint is...

Mint is based on Ubuntu as such the user base includes ubuntu's.

It's very much like ubuntu, all the same packages work the ubuntu repository are used during updates etc, although mint also has its own repository with additional packages.
In fact it is a prettier Ubuntu imho with more driver support and with extra spit and polish, take the package manager in Ubuntu you only have a description

synaptic-start.png

In Mint you have a screen shot of the application and user ratings also along with the description which is that bit nicer imho

mintInstall.png

They seem to have taken the care to put a better finish on ubuntu, it has lots of little tweaks to improve it rather than change what is a great distro in the first place.

Last edited:
Mint is based on Ubuntu as such the user base includes ubuntu's.

It's very much like ubuntu, all the same packages work the ubuntu repository are used during updates etc, although mint also has its own repository with additional packages.
In fact it is a prettier Ubuntu imho with more driver support and with extra spit and polish, take the package manager in Ubuntu you only have a description

synaptic-start.png

In Mint you have a screen shot of the application and user ratings also along with the description which is that bit nicer imho

Linux_Mint_MintInstall-ja.png

They seem to have taken the care to put a better finish on ubuntu, it has lots of little tweaks to improve it rather than change what is a great distro in the first place.

I guess I'll look into it at some point, for right now nothing's caused any real problems. Ubuntu has had a solution to every road block thus far.

Keep in mind this latest release is a little buggy. I killed the install twice just by upgrading my kernel. I finally gave up and burned Ubuntu 9.04 beta. Mint is nice but you might want to wait for 7

Keep in mind this latest release is a little buggy. I killed the install twice just by upgrading my kernel. I finally gave up and burned Ubuntu 9.04 beta. Mint is nice but you might want to wait for 7

Mint was nice for a few weeks until Firefox started crashing. Tried getting rid of all plugins, and reinstalling, but I ended up having to use Opera. A few weeks later, Opera started crashing.. So I moved back to Ubuntu.

There are rules against saying the same things about Linux that you'd say about windows. :p

Mint was nice for a few weeks until Firefox started crashing. Tried getting rid of all plugins, and reinstalling, but I ended up having to use Opera. A few weeks later, Opera started crashing.. So I moved back to Ubuntu.

are u sure u were using linux?? and not windows?

I like pure Debian myself. Nothing wrong with Ubuntu, but I like my fresh installed OS to be somewhat minimalist but fully GUI functional.

Back