• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my computer in! Problem :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chocobo

I got the intel e8400 and the stock cooler wont fit :( i push in one retainer bracket then the opposite wont push in.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have a P5Q pro mobo

It's hard to fit the stock cooler. You will need firm pressure to do it.

To ensure that it actually fits correctly, flip the motherboard over. Check if the 4 black pins align with the holes.

oooo trust me, you will need to apply FIRM very FIRM pressure. i had the same problem with my E8400. i thought i was going to break the board, but those boards are strong. its ok to be rough on them once in a while ;)

don't worry, i was feeling that too... but trust me you won't. where is the board placed? is it on the ground or are you holding it in your hand while putting it in?

Just be careful.......If you get it just right it does NOT take very firm pressure. Make sure you have the tabs twisted the correct way and try to be sure to push em in on the diagonal.

i have the board out and im using one hand to push the other hand on the board on the opposite side. :(

ohh try this, take off the one corner that you have put on. then check and see what OldSkool said about tabs being twisted. when i was having hard time, i had put the MB in my lap vertically, supporting the top of the MB with my left hand and tried to push the pins in. i'm sure if you apply just enough pressure they will go in easily. just make sure to have the board stable. don't push too hard or something, or loose your grip.

Heh, I *always* mount the mobo in a case before attaching a cooler... never had any problems. (Although I still don't like pushpins...)

Glad you got it without breaking anything ;)

can you do that with big coolers? or the heavy coolers? it might be easy with a pull out MB tray but to install heavy heatsinks wouldn't it be advisable to install them first and then put the MB in the case? just makes things more simpler and easy.

Sorry, I meant to say that about stock coolers... I should either proof read my posts or stop watching SG1 while typing ;)

The stock cooler isn't heavy or big enough, IMO, to be a problem that way. When the first Core Duo and Pentium D CPUs came out I was working at a shop that built some 50 of them in one month... stock coolers have barely changed at all since then and it was easy to mount them once the mobo was secure.

do it any way you like, its a pain in the arse no matter what. That last push-pin never wants to go in and you have to literally put you whole body weight on it to push it in. Only easy way is to buy a bolt-thru kit.

can you do that with big coolers? or the heavy coolers? it might be easy with a pull out MB tray but to install heavy heatsinks wouldn't it be advisable to install them first and then put the MB in the case? just makes things more simpler and easy.

do it any way you like, its a pain in the arse no matter what. That last push-pin never wants to go in and you have to literally put you whole body weight on it to push it in. Only easy way is to buy a bolt-thru kit.

Like what he said :bday:.

Take the thermalright ultra extreme 120 (TRUE for short) for example. It has a back plate + bolt through system. This is as good a mount you can get and it will not fall off even with a heavy heatsink. For example, the copper TRUE that weighs 1900g.

Of course, there is one disadvantage. You have to remove the motherboard and probably some other wires to install or remove the hs.

ya and if you have that big of a heatsink, you can't really just puck up a pc and move it like you would or push it with your feet or something with that TRUE on the MB. :p

Instead of pushing in 1 pin, and then the opposite corner I find the easiest way is to push in the 2 pins (opposite diagonal corners) at the same time w/ firm pressure. This also helps the TIM seat better as the pressure is from straight above as opposed to being levered in. Then do the same for the other 2 pins.

Yay! glad you got it on!

With my TRUE and my two 120mm fans attached, it looks like I have a 4 story apartment building sitting on my CPU :D

Back