• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just how cheap could a DIY Watercooling setup cost?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We do have chevettes in the uk but they are 70s cars and branded as vauxhall.

One day i will get hold of a vauxhall chevette heatercore im betting it will be simlar as the cars look simalr to the american versions just english 70s insted of american 80s!;)

Edit - This is what they look like http://www.chevettes.com/showroom.php?section=va&page=1

attualy getting quite popular again!;)

Last edited:
oh my god....
That really is horrid.

Anyway I am have asked about a heater matrix today at work and the ones I can get hold of are too big.

Know a good site for PC radiators?

Quattro said:
oh my god....
That really is horrid.

Anyway I am have asked about a heater matrix today at work and the ones I can get hold of are too big.

Know a good site for PC radiators?

what size are you after? maybe we can come up with suggestions - there are some pretty small cores available....

a "PC" radiator will cost more .... :(

Yeah I know I looked on a few sites and they are quite costly.
I'll measure out some sizes in a few minmutes...
Gotta have breakfast first!

Christ, getting a watersystem in england is so hard / expensive. This is why i wanted to mod an old air heatsink into a water block, after that you only need to spend about £40 on a radiator and pump + bits.

Its crazy, waterblocks are a ripoff for what they are.

Attualy they are not too bad

Have you ever made one? it takes hours of planning, developement and machine time. If i had to design and make a one off block it would be upwards of £500. Of course massproduction lowers the cost considrably but a block like the whitewater is far from a simple block of copper so £40 is not a bad price considering the low demand.

If your searching junk yards ...trans coolers work well normal 1/2 inlet and outlet ....and over here they only charge about $2.00 for one.

If you have a pepboys ..autozone..I use these heater cores $19.00 8X6X2 part # 39-9022

asdasd said:

where do you find a 2-342 of 18$?

autozone i believe (though the site has no pic, so you're relying on the gdi part number )
search for "HEATER CORE" for vehicle
1972 CHEVROLET TRUCK C10 1/2 TON P/U 2WD
WITH A/C

to me waterblocks are insanely cheap, given the planning and labor put into them. I consider myself very fortunate to posess a Cascade by Cathar. If you research a little bit about making blocks you will find the good ones involve a world of work to plan and produce.

But what im saying is, they are just machined metal and plastics, if i had the tools i could do one from raw materials in an hour, but i dont.

It just amazes me that there is no "entery level" water block, a simple and cheap model for people who want to try watercooling but dont want to invest a small fortune in it.

heatercore.jpg

Tha's what the chevette heater core looks like. the fins are about 6"x6" so add about 1.5" - 2" height for the barb and such. Measure your case and see if it fits.

Back