• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Lapped MY CPU/HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ric2L

Well I was board, had a couple of beers, decided to lap cpu & hs, it went pretty well, easier than I thought it would be. However my temps really did'nt drop that much??? Before lapping my idle temps were 40, 39, 36, 35.
Load running prime95 was 58, 56, 47, 46. Now after lap, Idle is 35, 33, 32, 31, Prime 57, 56, 54, 52. There definatly more even on each core, but while priming there not all that much lower. Now, i just did this 1/2 hour ago, hopefully will improve after AS5 sets in better. One thing I did do different was applied the AS5 the way there web site suggests instead of spreading a thin layer over the entire cpu (that is the way I had done it origionally, before lapping)

I also tried the pencil mod for the vdroop, that really worked well, went from 1.26 w/droop to 1.18, now @1.26 w/droop to 1.25, as per everest. so that went well.

I know the temps arn't bad for an air setup, but I want to go for a 3.6GHz overclock, and try to keep temps under 60.

I'll let run for a couple of days like it is see if it improves, if not I guess I should order that Ultra 120 exterme I've been drooling over, just dont have the extra funds till the end of the month.

Rick

I've had mixed experiences with lapping CPUs. On my old Celeron, it worked great. Even on my Athlon XP 2000+ it brought down the load temp by about 5C. But it really didn't do spit to my Q6600. Like yours, it evened out the temps a little better... They sit pretty much identical now. But it only brought the overall load temps down by about 1C.

Then again, the HSF I'm using right now is kind of funky. It's got the heat pipes as part of the heat sink itself, so, there's little gaps between the heat pipes and copper core. But, for the price, it's not a bad HSF.

Back