• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered my new build, tell me what you think!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

Correction, I started ordering my new build. Getting the CPU, Mobo, SSD, and keyboard after the new year (PSU, Case, RAM, and HDD are already in my possession) and I'll be slowly working on an improved GPU and the monitor/mouse in the coming weeks :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.8GHz Quad-Core

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

Motherboard: ASRock Pro3 Z97 Socket LGA1150 ATX Motherboard

RAM: PNY XLR8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 RAM

SSD: SanDisk Ultra 2 240GB 2.5" Internal SSD 550MB Read, 500MB Write

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" Internal HDD

PSU: EVGA 500-B 500W 80+ BRONZE Certified

GPU: ASUS GTX 950 2GB

Keyboard: Rosewill Apollo RK-9100xRBR Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: ROCCAT Kova RGB

Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 60Hz 21.5" 1920x1080

Just thought I'd share my excitement with everyone. I finally managed to order a computer I planned out!! Gonna be playing Minecraft on this, as well as some older games like Darksiders 2, screwing with Dolphin emulator, the like. Hoping to up the RAM to 16GB later on and buy an aftermarket CPU cooler just because I don't trust stock coolers for anything long term. Unfortunately I couldn't find the room in my budget to get a 'K' CPU, so no overclocking experiments :( Funny story about the CPU is I WAS going to get an i3-4370 but decided to get the cheapest i5 I could find instead. My current GPU I can toss in there as soon as it's built is a GTX 750. Hoping it'll do me justice for now until I get my 950 :D

So feel free to share your thoughts, point out wasted money, bottlenecks, anything I may have overlooked. So excited! :)

If you spend a little time on it you will be able to push that cpu at least a little, nothing like a k but still something and you might be surprised. I like the build!

Something I heard along the grapevine is that you cannot use DDR3 RAM that is 1866 out of the box on an intel board, it has to OC'd to 1866. Is this true and will it cause issues when i get the system set up?

Copied from their website "Supports Dual Channel DDR3/DDR3L 3100+(OC)" I would say yes it does support faster RAM than 1866. The only motherboard that I had trouble with RAM on was an Asrock h81m, that would only allow 1400 aka 700MHz. If it does't support higher speeds more than 9 times out of 10 the motherboard will just set a speed automatically that it likes and won't allow you to set anything higher.

Something I heard along the grapevine is that you cannot use DDR3 RAM that is 1866 out of the box on an intel board, it has to OC'd to 1866. Is this true and will it cause issues when i get the system set up?

I think that's probably hog wash on a higher end CPU like that. It might be true with a Celeron.

- - - Updated - - -

Copied from their website "Supports Dual Channel DDR3/DDR3L 3100+(OC)" I would say yes it does support faster RAM than 1866. The only motherboard that I had trouble with RAM on was an Asrock h81m, that would only allow 1400 aka 700MHz. If it does't support higher speeds more than 9 times out of 10 the motherboard will just set a speed automatically that it likes and won't allow you to set anything higher.

That is the limitation of that motherboard's chipset. Those low end Intel chipsets don't have a lot of overclocking options. That should not be a problem with the Z97 chipset.

Are you building the PC yourself or having it built according to your specs?

H81 is limited to say it nicely... but it works.
And that gtx750 will definitely get you through at some capacity till you upgrade. If you tell us what games you like to play the most we'd get a better idea what you need. Also, if you overclock nothing else you can still set your cache up to match the cores highest turbu clock, I would without a doubt.

As I said in the OP, older games like Minecraft, Darksiders 2, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, the Spider Man trilogy (Web of Shadows to Shattered Dimensions), and I'll be playing on Dolphin emlator, which runs gamecube games.

I'm sorry, I did read that too, just forgot. Honesty even the gtx 750 should be all you need for that. Nothing very demanding there anymore that what the 750 can handle.

Back