• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This might make it official, I have truly lost my marbles. In the quest to keep winter in my house so I can cold bench. This is my new quest, filling a bucket with DICE and Acetone and running the big loop through copper coils, which are submerged in the DICE/Acetone mixture. So far the experiment hasn't gone well due to my theory of more is always better. My first attempt was putting roughly 10lbs of DICE in the bucket and getting the mixture to -60c +, my thermometer only goes as low as -60. I figured I had enough antifreeze in the loop and enough flow from the 700gph pump to keep it flowing, not!!!! It froze in 2-3 minutes. The second attempt went a bit better because I added the DICE slowly but the temps in the mixture were only down to -1c and the water/antifreeze +1-4c. I wanted it colder so again going back to the more is better theory I dumped 2+ pounds of dice in it to get it colder and froze the loop again. :facepalm: Not giving up yet, so I'm going to add more antifreeze to the loop so I have a 70% mixture and then add the DICE slower and see what happens. Oh and that's the Phenom 9650 C/D and RGone passed on to me.
View attachment 142111
View attachment 142112
View attachment 142113
View attachment 142114

Now you're cooking with gas! Hell Yeah

hey guys, do me a faver and head over to the nvidia card section and give me a hand please.

sweet!!!! Mr. clean.

This might make it official, I have truly lost my marbles. In the quest to keep winter in my house so I can cold bench. This is my new quest, filling a bucket with DICE and Acetone and running the big loop through copper coils, which are submerged in the DICE/Acetone mixture. So far the experiment hasn't gone well due to my theory of more is always better. My first attempt was putting roughly 10lbs of DICE in the bucket and getting the mixture to -60c +, my thermometer only goes as low as -60. I figured I had enough antifreeze in the loop and enough flow from the 700gph pump to keep it flowing, not!!!! It froze in 2-3 minutes. The second attempt went a bit better because I added the DICE slowly but the temps in the mixture were only down to -1c and the water/antifreeze +1-4c. I wanted it colder so again going back to the more is better theory I dumped 2+ pounds of dice in it to get it colder and froze the loop again. :facepalm: Not giving up yet, so I'm going to add more antifreeze to the loop so I have a 70% mixture and then add the DICE slower and see what happens. Oh and that's the Phenom 9650 C/D and RGone passed on to me.
View attachment 142111
View attachment 142112
View attachment 142113
View attachment 142114

Been there, tried and also failed at that - Until I added alcohol to the mix. Dumped in what was left of a bottle of 190 proof with the DICE in the coolant like adding ice to it and that kinda worked. Antifreeze won't work with it, the DICE simply gets the coolant too cold and even if it doesn't actually freeze, it thickens to the point you might kill your pump trying to use it that way. Like Shrimpy said, using acetone would work better than trying any water based coolant would. Denatured alcohol won't freeze either and can be used as the coolant.

3M was around with a fluid not long back, it was a coolat for lathes, it had a poor point of something like -100. I'll try to find a little info.
as I remember price was a REAL issue.

big azz pump was a good idea to flush the line. It works way too goooder.

Hehehehe. ROTFLMAO. The minute I read that I thought well just shett. And was reminded of this pose.

And don't forget it... :thup::thup::thup:

attachment.php

RGone...ster. << :screwy:

Like Shrimpy said, using acetone would work better than trying any water based coolant would. Denatured alcohol won't freeze either and can be used as the coolant.
Wouldn't Acetone be corrosive to the block and pump?

Wouldn't Acetone be corrosive to the block and pump?

It would clean the block really nicely.

I'd worry more about the rubber o-rings deteriorating after some time.

Although I run 50% alcohol in my loop, every one said my o-rings would go to *****, but so far, they have held up for quite some time and that does include a total clean out.

But nope.... I made a serious offer. Up to you to take it or not. Get you EASILY past 6ghz. Must be for warned these chips aren't stable past 2 cores running somewhere between 6.2 and 6.5ghz you'll be shutting down modules. Gotta PM box, hit me up. I'm not asking for anything, but you can borrow the pot for a while. I have enough pots to DICE a 4P server.

Holla

Actually Man_D, I'll send you my best home made pot to play with. The same one that took the 4300 to 7ghz+ on LN2, 6110Mhz DICE with the 8350 all 8 cores running.

Got's a mounting plate and everything. You supply the screws though, I need mine!

Here's a picture, so you don't have to go digging back pages....

Attachments

• image_id_1140953_thumb.jpeg
    image_id_1140953_thumb.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image_id_1140952_thumb.jpeg
    image_id_1140952_thumb.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image_id_1140951_thumb.jpeg
    image_id_1140951_thumb.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 77
I did some more putzen today, I tried once to get a high reference clock for the bot but I kept failing at 326 got a couple of pointers a while back from Woomack and finally tried today and got to 380 on the CHV-z http://valid.canardpc.com/w5wypt

380 valid.JPG

Ya gotta love the clowns Bobert theys makes me laugh

Anyone interested in going cold, that is on our benching team, should post in the benching team area. We have loaner pots. They might need a little detective work to find out where they are at, but we do have them.

Anyone interested in going cold, that is on our benching team, should post in the benching team area. We have loaner pots. They might need a little detective work to find out where they are at, but we do have them.

I've been thinkin hard about it. Got some old AM2 chips coming and BMW doesn't live far away!

YA HELLO TEAM OCF!!!

Your the man xS_bgx!!

Johan this is right up your alley...... :attn:

Don't think I haven't heard the siren call.

LMAO.... man I be trying to get you AND now Man_D as well into some real chilling...

ok might as well. It typically doesn't turn out bad Johan. Leaping off buildings with a string around your hip ain't easy either, but would cost a little more.

So you seal the board nice and tight. OK. Pots in place. OK. Acetone in. OK. drop dry ice and wait for the boil to start calming and drop some more... OK chilled. Pretty much that fast and easy.

6110Mhz 8 cores 30 minutes. 6500mhz 2 cores 30 more minutes. Wash Rinse Repeat.

Interesting you mentioned that, the other day I was on the ASUS website looking at the BIOS updatews for the HERO and saw this in their trouble shooting section. Titled: After the computer is turned off, cpu fan continuous operation. Which is the exact problem I was having on the CHV. Maybe this will solve the issue on the CHV?

Next time I'm on the FX I'll have a look couldn't tell you if the CPU fan kept running or not. Don't have any. You think that's what's messin with the AI

LMAO.... man I be trying to get you AND now Man_D as well into some real chilling...

ok might as well. It typically doesn't turn out bad Johan. Leaping off buildings with a string around your hip ain't easy either, but would cost a little more.

So you seal the board nice and tight. OK. Pots in place. OK. Acetone in. OK. drop dry ice and wait for the boil to start calming and drop some more... OK chilled. Pretty much that fast and easy.

6110Mhz 8 cores 30 minutes. 6500mhz 2 cores 30 more minutes. Wash Rinse Repeat.

I think it's iedidible S_B

Next time I'm on the FX I'll have a look couldn't tell you if the CPU fan kept running or not. Don't have any. You think that's what's messin with the AI
The problem they stated about the Computer staying on after it was powered down through windows, was the exact problem I was having.

I like this.
"Yes we have pots you can use..... If we can remember what we did with them". :D

Seriously, that's a great thing and Mandrake should take full advantage of it. Pots are expensive, esp a good one and having access to a resource like that is beneficial.

The ones I've been using I made myself and got lucky enough to get hold of the materals needed to make them, in particular the base of these pots - That's where the magic is with a pot. :rolleyes:

Back