• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man how often do we say it ..... these FX CPU generate heat, sometimes it even surprises me. So I have finally had time to get in a bit deeper. I am now at 4.9 GHZ while my Core temps are pretty much starting to catch back up to where they were last time I was up here what is surprising is that my CPU Socket temp is now scaling pretty much in step with the Core temps or lagging behind a bit.

I did have a bit more issues with getting this stable this time around and for a while I could not think why but then I remembered I had changed out my ram to the new GSkill Trident 2400 kit from some of the ram I had sold Johan so I had been playing a bit with the ram trying to remember what all Johan had told me ..... so far so good, we'll see where it goes from here.

4.9GHZ CPUZ.png
4.9GHZ.png

Nice work bassnut, that 2400 stuff can be a pain, I swear I need more voltage on the CPU when I have mine in.

nice bassnut, 5.0 is right around the corner.

I have had this chip up to 5GHZ before but this time around it has been a major pain getting there. I have already run more VCore this time around then when I was pushing 5GHZ before. Not sure if I am going to try pushing for it or not ....... time will tell.

Nice work bassnut, that 2400 stuff can be a pain, I swear I need more voltage on the CPU when I have mine in.

I have already run it up to 2030MHZ @ 1.675v with 9 11 10 30 1T timings right now ..... messing with the memory is new for me. I always had those good kits I sold you to fall back on and never had to worry about it.

Similar kits are often running @ 2133 9-11-11 ~1.60V. You can also try something like 8-10-10 2000-2133 up to 1.7V. This will be harder but some of the newer Samsungs can make it while they don't really like higher clocks than ~2500.

I have already run it up to 2030MHZ @ 1.675v with 9 11 10 30 1T timings right now ..... messing with the memory is new for me. I always had those good kits I sold you to fall back on and never had to worry about it.

Ya it takes soem tinkering to make it al come together bassnut. That almost looks like the same kit I have as Woomack said try for the 8-10-10 timings around 2000

EDIT: I gave that ram a good home buddy.

Last edited:
Lock your ram, NB and HT speed to 2400MHz, for me it gives massive boost in stability. I have really hard time running my memory lower than 2400MHz without raising CPU/NB and vCore voltages.
It must be some sub timings that the board sets wrong when running lower speeds.
Using D.O.C.P profile seems to be more stable than using other means.
Just thought you might want to experiment with this as well.

It's generally better to bump CPU-NB clock and keep lower memory clock but at tighter timings. Then you get higher bandwidth due to higher IMC clock and lower latency due to tighter memory timings.
AMD memory controller is bottlenecking above 1866 clock and AMD probably knew that since it's max official supported clock for FX series.

Going back to TridentX. Depends from used IC ( all are various Samsungs ) they are working at:
1600 7-8-8
1866 8-9-9
2133 9-11-11
2400 9-11-11 ( not available anymore )
2400 10-12-12
2600 10-12-12 ( not available anymore )
2666 10-12-12 ( not available anymore )
2666 CL11 or higher clocks are Hynix

All at 1.60-1.65V and all can be on similar IC ( exept mentioned hynix in higher kits ). G.Skill of course pick best series for higher kits. Most HCH9 won't make 2400 CL9 and most kits in general won't run stable at 2600+ at reasonable voltages. Still worth to try no matter what series you got.
Still TridentX is probably last Samsung based series and it offers highest performance due to tight sub timings ( not that anyone cares about 1% difference ).

Generally I have tried to keep my ram around 1866MHZ depending on my FSB. Something different I have never been able to oc above 4900mhz with a high CPU/NB last time best I could get stable at 5GHZ was around 2250mhz which is where I am now and generally run it around 2400mhz. As for CPU/NB v anything above 1.28 has hurt my stability. Now that being said I have not had allot of time to tinker lately but will try you advice woomack next time I get a chance.

High CPU-NB needs much higher voltage but it will still hit a wall at about 2500-2600MHz. I was running 2500-2600MHz at about 1.35V CPU-NB when I had FX but I don't think I was ever checking stability for longer.

OK got home early tonight ..... heres 4.9GHZ again with some tighter timings ..... 8 10 10 28 @ 1.7v. Temps are good this will probably be where I keep it for day to day ...... I did have a spike somewhere in the last couple hours to 60*C but with temps holding in at 48* to 52*C ....... I am happy with that. Check out those socket temps ....... :shock:

4.9@8 10 10.png

EDIT >>>>>>

here's something weird .... with the 20X Multi temps are 8*C higher then by adjusting up my FSB by 6 for the exact same speed. Desk top Gadgets not working and prime fails right off but working fine with multi adjusted higher. gonna have to look into this more.

Last edited:
GT AP45's ...... that's the 2100rpm version on the AP15's. The pump is louder then 5 of them in just push turned down ...... I can hear them at full speed when I turn them up but not much more then the pump itself.

OK thanks. Been reading up on 240 vs 280 rads and fans. Honestly haven't read many positives for the 280's.

I have a GTX 280 as well the biggest problem with them is finding a good fan to pair up with it as the GTX although not terribly restrictive they do need some muscle to push air through. If you are going to use a 280 rad pay attention to the FPI count.

The Gentle Typhoons really are nice sounding fans. I have a few AP 15's and yes at 100% you can hear them but the sound is so much better then the 2200 Rpm YL fans I have. i have to say the Bitfenix fans I have in my signature are also really nice sounding at 100%. Almost equal to the GT's.

I have a few of the BitFenix fans and like them as well but The Gentle Typhoon fans in general are great. I have a collection of them now 1850 rpm AP15's, 2150rmp AP45's and some 3000rpm AP30's I can just switch them around as I need. When I ran out of room for a push / pull on this build I felt I had to up the rpm a bit so used the AP45's so I left the bling fans off. There's still room for improvement in my temps with this loop should I decide to go that route all I have to do is pop in the AP30's though a bit louder but not terribly so.

Blaylock if you are going to go with these Black Ice rad's take a serious look at the GT family of fans and plan out your build. You won't regret it.

Right. That's where I'm at now, planning. Been reading a shett ton of threads, forums and reviews. The funny part is I'm not even sure what my next build will entail. With AMD pushing mobile, I'll probably have to join the blue team. That's not going to be for at least a year though. What I do know is my next build with be for benchmarking and gaming. Right now I'm spending most of my time playin' around with the mining crowd, but I expect that to dry up in a year or less. That's when I'm going to start getting serious about benching.

Back