• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay. I said this last week(?)
Today & tomorrow are for OCing my rig again.

I want to get some more runs before I retire this chip and get that 3570K :D
Marathon III still on?

man, cant a guy multitask?

upon walking the aluminum 1/2 mile back to the junk yard I almost unwilling got that lifetime membership to the gym!

Maaaaaan I can't game if my rig is benching! :p
or if I kill my OS like I did today :chair:

all rigging, abbreviated games and cooking terms aside, im making dinner.
:sn:

temps not cold enough here yet.
not sure probably around 26f here today.

maybe by end of November, was thinking more along the lines of end of January!
I may have to temporarily move setup to another location.
I might as well wait for -30 to -40 f on the mercury.

I still haven't had a visitor/friend gamer to try the 7870 crossfire setup with asus 24" 144hz monitor.
no gamers in months here to visit actually.
I just sit back and watch. usually counter strike global offensive.

If I remember correct, that was a pricey I7 your looking at. almost server grade?

locally here, we are not supposed to get that polar vortex cold front.

Temps are getting cold enough here finally but since my bank randomly wants to cancel my card and send me a new one had to back outta all the deals I was planning. I have no access to my money now.

G`day.
I`m back, and after consulting the bank statement it seems i cannot get the primo...:rain:
On the plus side i would have not been able to buid in it as i am not allowed to pick up anything more then 10KG so i lowered my sights and now i cannot decide what case to buy....was thinking ethoo pro/luxe but i cannot add more then a 240 to the loop and if i want to keep the inside pretty i need to use the PSU cover, the issue with the cover is that i can still add that 240 but use only one fan on it.

The other more functional but less pretty option is the haf 935 and when budget allows add two more 915(the little guys) and fill them with rad.(this will require another pump)

so what do you guys think?

PS: She be running at 4.8 now with the same volts in sig! i think i need two more 360`s so i can run 5G daily

Last edited:
So I got a new CPU today, and the new mobo wont be here till tomorrow. Alas I am impatient so I through it in the 970A-DS3P. I new ahead of time this board wasnt capable of the power draw of an 8 core FX. But I had that itch.

So I am at default clocks/voltages. It did boot to the BIOS @ 20x200, but I defaulted all the CPU stuff (been running the 4130 @ 4ghz)

I know AIO's get crapped on a lot. But this H100i continues to impress me.

newcpu.PNG

So I got a new CPU today, and the new mobo wont be here till tomorrow. Alas I am impatient so I through it in the 970A-DS3P. I new ahead of time this board wasnt capable of the power draw of an 8 core FX. But I had that itch.

So I am at default clocks/voltages. It did boot to the BIOS @ 20x200, but I defaulted all the CPU stuff (been running the 4130 @ 4ghz)

I know AIO's get crapped on a lot. But this H100i continues to impress me.

View attachment 156384

Yes AOI coolers get crapped on but they do a decent job as long as you understand their limitations and can put up with their noise and sometimes they deserve the crap that gets tossed their way. Not bad temps on the cores but something you will learn fast is you almst have to pay as much attention to the socket temps as the core temps with the 8 core FX cpu's.

Aye.. Something is funky and HWMonitor isnt reporting everything. Not sure why, got an error message first time I opened it. But I clicked out of it before I read the whole thing. The noise isnt bad, that screenie is on "quiet" profile

After 2 hours running P95 stress test @ stock speed/voltage the package temps are at 30c and ambient went up a few degrees. Wood stove woes. (its 80-85 in the living room, low-mid 70s in here.)

HWMonitor doesnt want to play nice. All drivers are installed etc, but It wont read anything besides package temp. So I opened Aida64. Not really worried as this is a short love affair, but you are right.

A lot has been done to maximize airflow in my case, seems to be paying off.
Aida64.PNG

Last edited:
From the looks of your screen capture you have Open HWMonitor ....... take a look at the cupid version which we tend to gravitate towards. Stick to the free one no need to go to the pro version.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

When the time come to get serious with your chip there will be plenty of help to get the most out of it here in the forums.

... No thats Aida64

HWMonitor isnt reading anything but package temp.

I have, and have used HWMonitor since 2005. Never seen this problem though.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 or 4 versions. No success. I think something is lingering when I uninstall it though, just not sure what.

hwmfail.PNG
Thats all HWMonitor gives me, downloaded from the CPUID website.

... No thats Aida64

HWMonitor isnt reading anything but package temp.

I have, and have used HWMonitor since 2005. Never seen this problem though.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled 3 or 4 versions. No success. I think something is lingering when I uninstall it though, just not sure what.

View attachment 156389
Thats all HWMonitor gives me, downloaded from the CPUID website.

Are you using the pro/trial version?

Well it seems it does hold true that the tighter the chip the worse it is cold.
The 9370 would do 4.8 at 1.428v and reached 7042 http://valid.canardpc.com/sevkx0
The 8320 I just got would run 4.5 at 1.428v and only made it to 6668 http://valid.canardpc.com/hhhy90
Really makes me wish I still had the piggy ! Any way since I was pretty much tuck with a chip that wouldn't clock last night I did a few things that I needed then did a little play run with Aida64 I had no issue booting with the NB at 3500
aida.JPG

Last edited:

"johan" something similar to that thinking is mostly accurate. It is hard to determine for sure since most of these guys don't have your kind of cool but I have seen about 4 of the FX 8 cores lately that seemed to run pretty fast with low Vcore but will n0t seem to run the bigger / biggest numbers.

I think back to that FX-8350 that C_D had which would run 4.8Ghz on air and pretty good water, but not another Mhz faster and that speed on about 1.42Vcore. No Vcore to speak of and no big speed numbers either.

It is a balancing act between what one might call a tight or loose cpu Vcore wise and have good cpu speed where we normally run with chilly water. I think all the "high" cpu Mhz cpus are all going toward the FX-9xxx cpus and they are rated at big voltages to allow the average user to have them run stable day in and day out.

Long live "piggys" may they RIP.
RGone...ster.

I had big hopes but one thing for sure RGone it's put me at ease a bit. I thought my 9370 should've went to the moon but it didn't and I was certain I was getting something wrong. I made sure the BIOS was as wide open as I could get it this time and even then my fun ended sooner. So in the end I now assume it was the CPU and not user error since my second attempt, with a "better" CPU was even less fulfilling.

Are you using the pro/trial version?

The 9370 would do 4.8 at 1.428v and reached 7042 http://valid.canardpc.com/sevkx0
The 8320 I just got would run 4.5 at 1.428v and only made it to 6668 http://valid.canardpc.com/hhhy90
Really makes me wish I still had the piggy ! Any way since I was pretty much tuck with a chip that wouldn't clock last night I did a few things that I needed then did a little play run with Aida64 I had no issue booting with the NB at 3500

Trial version of Aida, hadnt put my product key in yet.

I am running into an.. Oddity. If I enable Windows 8 fast boot it brings me to the EFI Shell. Weird

NewMOBO.PNG

That was it, I know that the trial version doesn't show package and not sure if it does with the paid version either??

The "CPU" temp corresponds to the package temp that HWMonitor reports. Not 100% sure though. I emailed them to try and figure out what HWMonitors malfunction is, pretty sure its OS/software related.

Side note.. Aside from hwmonitor I think I have everything else sorted... So, baby steps.

phase 1.PNG

Last edited:
Back