• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Putzen Round

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's probably the issue then. I know my SSD (Main drive) is in AHCI. The more I think on this, AHCI is also the default setting. I think that's it Manny. I'll verify tonight for sure. Thanks for the input guys.

I'm pretty sure you can only install XP in IDE mode.

It'll install in ahci as well you just have to F6 the drivers or have them slipped into your install . Mine are in AHCI , this way I don't have to remember to switch

It'll install in ahci as well you just have to F6 the drivers or have them slipped into your install . Mine are in AHCI , this way I don't have to remember to switch

Well you nailed that one to the barn door between you and 'manny'. Slipstreamed AHCI sata drivers for certain or no go. I am getting wonky in my ability to read these posts and get the full meaning anymore it seems. You two guys are still very primo help.
RGone...ster.:bang head:bump:

During the initial stages of XP install you can press f6 to install third party drivers. That's where it gets tricky with newer boards that don't have an IDE connector for a floppy. If you're lucky you can find a USB floppy that XP will recognize but IIRC XP doesn't recognize the USB on install for drivers.
Thanks gGonester, I'd have thankd you the traditional way but I've reached my quota today thanks to Blaylock.

...and the winner is Mandrake! We in bid-ness boyz. I had to switch over to IDE mode. Let the fun begin.

20141203_190801.jpg

So my FX8370 came in yesterday :clap: Went to pop it in tonight and take it for a spin and realised I forgot something ....... word of caution guy's if you are planning a ridged tube build make sure you are not planning to change anything that is water cooled as you now have to disassemble that complete part of the loop .......:bang head::rain:

So my FX8370 came in yesterday :clap: Went to pop it in tonight and take it for a spin...

Bummer... I'll look forward to some results... Hopefully soon. :thup:

UPS man sure had a long day today... Most likely Post Black Friday (Weekend) and Cyber Monday rush.

He delivered my package from Newegg tonight at 8:00 PM.

P1040142.JPG

Check out the difference between stock coolers... 8370 on the left and 8370E on the right. Maybe AMD wants to try and discourage overclocking on the E-Series? :)

P1040147.JPG

P1040149.JPG

WOW ....yes big difference. The little one looks like it came off an old AMD II 555 or something similar. Not sure if I will power this up tonight as I did spill a bit of H2O down the board. I'll probably let the loop bleed out over night and power it up tomorrow. The board has a bit of drying out to do first.

You sure that's not from the '90's or something? :p

'cause that's what it looks like - a heatsink from back in the day

That is a big difference, I wouldn't be surprised though if that CPU would run the stock 3.3 at 1.1 v at least close any way. AMD was just saving a couple of buck is my guess.
Good luck with your new toys guys.
@ bassnut, that rigid tubing really has been a bit of a pain hasn't it? Even an annual teardown for cleaning looks like it would be a chore.

Okay... This morning I changed out the cpu to the new 8370E. :)

The 8370 had completed ~30 hrs. straight crunching Rosetta 100% load @5.0 (~1.412v) with no BSOD/or worker errors. :thup:

Initial default (auto) settings and boot to windows showed the 8370E had a VID of 1.250v in Core Temp.

So I decided on an initial baseline o.c of 4.0 with Vcore set in BIOS to 1.250v (LLC@high) and I then noticed upon reboot that the VID in core temp was now showing 1.1375v?

I'm not really sure why the 20.00x P-State for the chip would be set with a lower rating than the 18.00x P-State? :shrug:

FX-8370E 4.0GHz Rosetta load.PNG

P-States 8370 8370E.PNG

That is odd really. What else I notice is, that's a 3.3 base clock CPU right? but there's no P_State for 16.5

Yes and it is also showing stock frequency as 3.6GHz?

Edit: P-States for 21.5x and 7.0x are showing slightly lower for the 8370E vs. 8370.

Last edited:
Back