• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just removed the IHS from my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That would be interesting to check the actual die temp with IR gun with a screenshot of core temp at same time. Would help confirm actual tjmax value.

Several of the transistors on each die function as thermal sensors, and DTS reads the hottest temp as core temp. I guess it is possible to damage them, but like previous poster said, I would not assume that as they are integrated in the chip. And with no tim, I would not be surprised if those were actual temps, despite not seeing much change lowering volts. If not overclocked, you can certainly run stable at those high temps.

Another person who ran without IHS, dual core, also got very high temps until cleaned of crap and put tim on, dont remember how he cleaned it though without damaging it.

Well the back part of the mobo is getting toasty, so I think those are the actual temps :eek: I've taken off as much of the copper ring around the dies as I can without hitting the PCB, and I've taken off quite a big of the crap on the dies. I don't understand how with the IHS on, as well as the thermaltape in there, the CPU ran cooler then it does with the IHS off, and with the dies making direct contact with the waterblock. And yes, I did put on some AS5.

You never answered: How is the thermal paste spread, can you post pics? I really don't think it is making good contact.

Maybe this is an issue with dissipation area?

The solder die attach adhesive that intel uses has a thermal conductance much higher than any tim we use. So unless you can get two smooth surfaces like IHS and block to mate with tim, you will end up with higher temps, despite only having one interface (bad interface though), instead of two interfaces (one very high conductance interface of tim1 by intel, and one very smooth interface with tim2 by user).

I think the person that had trouble with higher temp on duo because of solder remnants, used liquid collab pro, as it apparently filled in the spaces of solder remnants better, and got lower temps that way...but that person was concerned of it damaging the die...I know he finally got temps down, but never heard whether the liquid metal tim damaged the die when taken off.

I think that was either on this site or overclock.net...but cant find that set of posts.

You, sir, have a set of brass ones. Kudos. I removed the IHS from many an AMD X2, but never had the gumption to give it a go on an new Intel processor.

However, I agree with rge. You're reaching a point of diminishing returns with newer processors; if the stock IHS is seated well, then IHS removal will result in negligible differences in heat dissipation. With early X2 processors, it was apparent that IHS's weren't seated evenly across the die. I believe this issue has been alleviated now, with both Intel and AMD processors.

Still, high five.

You never answered: How is the thermal paste spread, can you post pics? I really don't think it is making good contact.

Maybe this is an issue with dissipation area?

This is the difficult part. Once the IHS is removed, the TIM layer must be spread thinly and evenly (assuming Arctic Silver TIM product). I used to use a razor blade to do this, and it was a painstaking operation to say the least.

I might have to try this but I don't have a blow torch can I bake the cpu in the oven for a few mins then try to cut the IHS off?

OK, pictures for all those. Sadly they had to be shrunk down to fit in the size limit :(

Attachments

• Picture 172 (Large).jpg
    Picture 172 (Large).jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4,033
  • Picture 174 (Large).jpg
    Picture 174 (Large).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 806
  • Picture 176 (Large).jpg
    Picture 176 (Large).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 807
  • Picture 175 (Large).jpg
    Picture 175 (Large).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 805
  • Picture 178 (Large).jpg
    Picture 178 (Large).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 3,782
More pics, including some of the tools of the trade.

Attachments

• Picture 181 (Large).jpg
    Picture 181 (Large).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 834
  • Picture 193 (Large).jpg
    Picture 193 (Large).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,930
  • Picture 196 (Large).jpg
    Picture 196 (Large).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 807
  • Picture 199 (Large).jpg
    Picture 199 (Large).jpg