• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just to double check: burn 3rd L5 bridge open for Mobile Bartons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wquiles

I am getting my new Athlon 2400 Barton Mobiles (1.8GHz) late this week and will modify them to run in SMP to replace my current Athlons this weekend.

From my reading here, the 5th L5 bridge is already closed, but I do have to open/cut/blow the 3rd L5 bridge for my new chips to work. I have never done this before: good tips/links as to how to do this?

Since I kill one of my chips by accident, I am being EXTRA carefull after spending $154 on my two new Mobile Bartons, so you can understand why concerns.

Can someone who has actually done the mod (or is 110% sure) please let me know exactly what I need to do?

Thanks much in advance!

Well to blow the bridge you should use 5v from the PSU connect to both ends of the bridge. THen you should hear a cracking sound with kind of flash. THe bridge would have been blown away.

Its the easiest way to open a bridge as far as i know

You just have to be extremely careful you don't blow any other bridges. I've seen 1 dead CPU from this method and heard tell of maybe a dozen more. If your hands are steady, you should be alright.

Thanks to all - I am really looking forward to at least 2.4GHz !!!

Related question:
- I don''t have a spare PC power supply, but I have a bench power supply (Radio Shack) that ofers regulated 12 volts at 10 amps. Can I use this power supply to blow the bridge on each CPU?

I do have the dead CPU so I guess I will use it as a guinea pig and experiement with it first :)

NO! it may blow you chip at 12v. cant you just ground your PSU to turn it on without the motherboard?
Just short the green ATX connector wire to one of the black ones.

ALso remember to connect the wire correctly to archive 5v.

Best of Luck

Last edited:
DrSpanky said:
i think there is a guide in the cpu section
under amd take a look there

DrSpanky, after reading your post I searched far and wide for several hours. As far as I can tell, there is no guide on doing this whatsoever. There is a huge need for one however imo. Sorry, the thread with Rav's text or other vague and scattered comments on it doesn't cut a guide by any means. If you've tried doing what he is actually trying to do I think you'd see this.

J

Can you use a 9v? haven't people used them? or the 5v lantern battery?
Also this might not have anything to do with it, but can you use a modded mobile chip in a regular board non smp is you decide to change over??

rxtrom said:
Can you use a 9v? haven't people used them? or the 5v lantern battery?
Also this might not have anything to do with it, but can you use a modded mobile chip in a regular board non smp is you decide to change over??

Yes, yes, and yes.

rxtrom said:
314, what do you mean by that?

Once you do the smp mod, I don't think the mobile chip multiplier can be adjusted in Windows xp. So "partially" is a better answer than "yes" for that question. Roam was just a word I invented for on the fly multiplier adjustments.

J

Once you do the SMP mod, you can't dynamically change the multiplier, using software, from Windows, but the CPU is multiplier unlocked, so you can still set particular multipliers from the BIOS, or using the pin-mod.

rxtrom said:
YA i usually set the multipliers in BIOS, why would I care if multipliers can't be set in windows XP??

If you have an adjustable fan it can make your cpu cool to underclock it. However if you are folding then it cuts down on the # of reboots you have to do. Personally, I am sick and tired of rebooting stuff.

314 said:

If you have an adjustable fan it can make your cpu cool to underclock it. However if you are folding then it cuts down on the # of reboots you have to do. Personally, I am sick and tired of rebooting stuff.

Why would you ever want to underclock a desktop pc... these aren't laptops we're talking about. Unless your computer is really unstable, you shouldn't have to reboot either.

Back