• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8V-X won't OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sled

new around here so not certain if this is where I want to put this, let me know if its not.

I just put together my new system the other day. It is an Asus K8V-X with an Athlon 64 3000+ and 1gb of Crucial value 3200 Ram. I set the FSB to 201 and no matter what Core voltage, DDR voltage, or AGP voltage combo it does not want to OC at all. It boots, and goes through its drive self check then goes to a black screen I get every time before windows loads. But when I try and OC it just sits at this black screen blinking a little cursor forever. After trying I set the clock speed back to factory and it would no longer go to windows. I cleared the CMOS and now it works fine. All I changed between its normal working and no longer booting to windows was Clock speed, core voltage, ddr voltage, and agp voltage. At different times, I tried many combinations to try and get it to boot. Also I noticed in the middle of this that whatever I set my Core voltage to it runs about .5V less. Like right now Motherboard Monitor is registering it as 1.46 when it should be 1.5. When I was playing around I realized this and set it to 1.75V, the BIOS hardware monitoring said the core voltage was running at 1.67V. I am running a Seasonic Super Tornado 400W power supply. Have only heard good things baout it so I have no idea.
Any help is appreciated. This system is great compared to my old setup but I was hoping to OC it even if just a little.
:bang head <- me

I just got this board and a 3400 let me know how yours is woking ocing and other stuff about it t/y in advance.

Is the only way you can boot, by leaving all the bios settings at default? ie. most options are on auto detect. Can you choose manual settings that are exactly the same as what its supposed to be detecting?

I know you aren't there yet, but just so you know this board is based on the K8T800 chipset which has no agp/pci lock, an issue I've been wrestling with my own board, K8vse dlx. But if you are just trying to raise the clock by 1 mhz this shouldn't even be an issue.

I have the same board and wanted to overclock it too, but with the AGP/PCI not being lockable how far is it safe to overclock without hurting any AGP or PCI hardware? Does anyone think this board will ever be able to have the AGP/PCI locked?

The rig specs in my sig are wrong...just edited them.

Last edited:
I also have this mobo and I cant get the FSB beyond 220. Anything beyond this and Windows XP corrupts and has to be reloaded. I have just given up on this mobo and have left the FSB at 220. Asus have not been very helpful either, telling me not to overclock as this shortens the life of the CPU. Has anyone taken this mobo beyond 220?

Ive got the K8v-x and have it running 233 prime stable, it seems to run fine at 240 @2.4Ghz (3000+ newcastle) at 1.75v but prime fails after an hour or so. Theres a new beta bios which has only been released a few days or so 1008 (google it). With the new bios setting the voltage to 1.75 overvolts on my board by .5 so when under load in windows it now read 1.74 which isnt far off (with the older bios this used to droop to 1.62!). My board doesnt seem to like to post below 233fsb so i dont know if this is another pci\agp divider kicking in?? I also have to raise the vlink votage to 2.6 and run the ram@333 (so it says in bios but at 240fsb this puts the ram to 400 stock). The board posts all the way up to 266fsb with a lower multi although this is probably way too far outside the pci\agp spec!

Back