• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Katana

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BSOD again

:mad:

Well I should have known that nothing is permanent. I got a BSOD the other day after about a week of running just fine. My guess is it has something to do with length of the computer being on. I have been leaving it on unusually long, days at the time. I came home to find the BSOD staring at me. I restarted and everything seemed fine. Loaded up a game and it froze. I restarted and everything has been fine thus far.

The BSOD stated a ataport.sys error if I am not mistaken. This is the same error that I was having before. Anyone else got this issue?

You said you're at stock speed right?

Try this: ENABLED Multi LLC to 3
and maybe up that QPI/VTT above stock a little.

Aparently there is something that I am missing. I looked around in the BIOS real quick and couldn't find the correct settings. I will have to refer to the book as I have not been poking around in the BIOS for very long yet; waiting for WCing to get set up first.

I did however find something interesting. I looked at the list where it shows all of the devices that are connected to the mobo. It does not show all of my devices all of the time. If I recall correctly this list varies from time to time on what is shown. Here is a pic.
IMAG0017.jpg

Any thoughts?

update

First, I have not had a single BSOD since I updated (all) drivers from the Gigabyte page. I have played my game extensively and by now I would have expected many crashes. I am running the latest ATI driver (6870), though I do not believe my original problem was in any way related to the GPU. I'm still running stock - no OC.

My original BSOD always included the BIOS 'losing' my two drives on the Intel SATA3 ports. A reset would bring them back, but until then, they were not found and the system would not boot.

Sorry you are still having troubles. For what its worth, I am turning my system off each night, so it is on for about 6 hours a day. I would suggest uninstalling most if not all of the Gigabyte utilities.... one at least was definitely causing me troubles. The driver update one doesn't work, and the others are either useless or I don't trust them.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Thx, bob

First, I have not had a single BSOD since I updated (all) drivers from the Gigabyte page. I have played my game extensively and by now I would have expected many crashes. I am running the latest ATI driver (6870), though I do not believe my original problem was in any way related to the GPU. I'm still running stock - no OC.

My original BSOD always included the BIOS 'losing' my two drives on the Intel SATA3 ports. A reset would bring them back, but until then, they were not found and the system would not boot.

Sorry you are still having troubles. For what its worth, I am turning my system off each night, so it is on for about 6 hours a day. I would suggest uninstalling most if not all of the Gigabyte utilities.... one at least was definitely causing me troubles. The driver update one doesn't work, and the others are either useless or I don't trust them.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Thx, bob

Yea I have also uninstalled the Gigabyte utilities. I will go through and update from the site again. It seemed like the newest vid drivers were causing me an issue so I was going with the older ones. I will update those as well.

I did have another BSOD last night in reference to volmgrx.sys. I couldn't find any specific info when I looked real quick. Anywho thanks for the info!

It must be hardware related problem.
Try with a mechanical HDD as a main OS drive.

Where do you plug the Vertex III into the mainboard?
FYI, it need to be plugged into the WHITE Sata ports if you've read the manual.
From the blurry picture it looks like that you plugged it into the gray port?

Last edited:
It must be hardware related problem.
Try with a mechanical HDD as a main OS drive.

Where do you plug the Vertex III into the mainboard?
FYI, it need to be plugged into the WHITE Sata ports if you've read the manual.
From the blurry picture it looks like that you plugged it into the gray port?

Ok I made sure that the SSD is plugged into the white port. I also updated all of the drivers from the Gigabyte site. Still no luck. It is however generating a different error. I took some notes on the errors that I saw happen.

0xC000000e
Hung during reboot twice
Reset and it still hung
Powered it off and it started up
Hung while loading into windows
I was able to move the mouse but no programs would respond to clicks.

Ntfs.sys
Hung while watching a video on WMP then BSOD
Could not locate the SSD during startup
Powered off and it started up fine.

I'll have to see about switching out the main drive. It seems really aggravating but if I must I must. Gonna have to find somewhere to stick my media too.

first crash since I solved my BSOD problem

I hesitate to write this because my new crash was not a BSOD and I have no good information to add, but it shares one thing in common to the original bug: a SSD is lost:

I was playing my game when it hung and a popup said game was not responding (sorry forgot exact details and I'm not even sure whether it was windows or the game telling me this. It took be back to my desktop, where I found that the shortcut to the game (a second SSD, E:, the OS is on another SSD, C:) could not be resolved. I checked windows explorer and my E: drive was no longer available. I rebooted and the E: drive was back and the I've since played the game many hours without issue. My SSD is an Adata, which uses the newest controller that most of the new SSDs use, yours included I believe. I'm guessing this is all somehow related to the Intel chipset Sata3 controller not playing nice with SSD.

Again, good luck.

I hesitate to write this because my new crash was not a BSOD and I have no good information to add, but it shares one thing in common to the original bug: a SSD is lost:

I was playing my game when it hung and a popup said game was not responding (sorry forgot exact details and I'm not even sure whether it was windows or the game telling me this. It took be back to my desktop, where I found that the shortcut to the game (a second SSD, E:, the OS is on another SSD, C:) could not be resolved. I checked windows explorer and my E: drive was no longer available. I rebooted and the E: drive was back and the I've since played the game many hours without issue. My SSD is an Adata, which uses the newest controller that most of the new SSDs use, yours included I believe. I'm guessing this is all somehow related to the Intel chipset Sata3 controller not playing nice with SSD.

Again, good luck.

Ug this is so frustrating. I am glad to hear that you are having a similar issue. I hope that came out right. :chair: I have noticed that it is only my SSD that drops. My other drives, DVD and HDDs, are all fine. I will keep checking the Gigabyte site for an update to drivers but I fear that it may be a while.

It might sound crazy but I have 2 of this board. One for each 2500k and 2600k

They both work fine. Though, I do not use SSD so that could be the cupit.

Has it been updated to the latest F8 bios?

It might sound crazy but I have 2 of this board. One for each 2500k and 2600k

They both work fine. Though, I do not use SSD so that could be the cupit.

Has it been updated to the latest F8 bios?

I thought that I had updated my BIOS. I didn't see an update on the site but I may have been so focused on the drivers that I missed it. I visited the OCZ site as well today and I think that I saw a firmware update. That shouldn't change anything since kwong has a different SSD but I am willing to give it a go; couldn't hurt right? :cool:

EDIT: Ok just flashed to the newest version F8. I thought that I had already done that because I had run the @biod utility but apparently I was wrong. I did see that it installed the drivers for my DVD drive which it has not done before. Here is to happy thoughts. ;p

Last edited:
I would take the SSD out of that machine and plug it into another to test it. If you are running win7 it will boot and load all the drivers automatically, so it should be easy to try. This will let you know if it is the board or the drive. If the drive works fine in another computer, then try a different drive to replace the SSD. If it works fine, then I would suggest that it is either a defective board, or a compatibility issue. I would also try looking in the bios very thoroughly to see if you missed something. If all else fails, contact Gigabyte tech support and seek a resolution to the problem. Best of luck.
-Greg

I would take the SSD out of that machine and plug it into another to test it. If you are running win7 it will boot and load all the drivers automatically, so it should be easy to try. This will let you know if it is the board or the drive. If the drive works fine in another computer, then try a different drive to replace the SSD. If it works fine, then I would suggest that it is either a defective board, or a compatibility issue. I would also try looking in the bios very thoroughly to see if you missed something. If all else fails, contact Gigabyte tech support and seek a resolution to the problem. Best of luck.
-Greg

I hope that I have another system that accepts a SATA drive. That is a scary thought.

I think that I will give Gigabyte a call first to be sure that I am not missing something in the BIOS.

I have noticed that the issue has become consistent now rather than being different and it seems like the computer is trying to recover after a BSOD instead of dead ending into one. 0xc000000e I think is the error code. It means tat windows has lost a file of some sort. The message that sppears on the screen along with the code says that the boot drive has become inaccessible. I thought that it may have been the power settings causing the SSD to try and sleep but it was causing it to malfunction. I have my comp set to never sleep and the HDDs never turn off. Looks like I will have to resort to tech support. :cry: ;)

You aren't alone!

Looks like it isn't just us. This link will take you to a post on the OCZ site that details more than one person that is having the same issues that we describe. Turns out, from what I read, this is a wide spread issue that is being worked on via firmware updates. The part that sucks is that you can't update the firmware on a main drive. :mad: Looks like I will have to install Win7 on a HDD. Sounds like the best chance that you have right now is just to pray for a firmware update.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?91432-OCZ-VERTEX-3-FREEZES-BSOD/page3

:rain::rolleyes:

update - BSOD

While playing my game, I once again got a BSOD, like before where the SSD drives (on Intel SATA3 controller) are no longer visible... same as the original behavior prior to updating the drivers. While the machine would crash every day or two before the update, it has gone weeks without a crash of the main OS SSD drive. I did have one crash to desktop last week where my E: SSD drive (game) disappeared while playing and the C:drive (OS) was not lost.

I flashed my MB from F3 to F4 after the first crashes long ago, but have not flashed version F8 yet.

We are using different SSDs, but they both use the same controller chip set. ADATA still has no firmware upgrade. You would think a lot more people would be experiencing this issue, whether it is the Intel chip set, drivers, or even a Gigabyte design flaw.

While playing my game, I once again got a BSOD, like before where the SSD drives (on Intel SATA3 controller) are no longer visible... same as the original behavior prior to updating the drivers. While the machine would crash every day or two before the update, it has gone weeks without a crash of the main OS SSD drive. I did have one crash to desktop last week where my E: SSD drive (game) disappeared while playing and the C:drive (OS) was not lost.

I flashed my MB from F3 to F4 after the first crashes long ago, but have not flashed version F8 yet.

We are using different SSDs, but they both use the same controller chip set. ADATA still has no firmware upgrade. You would think a lot more people would be experiencing this issue, whether it is the Intel chip set, drivers, or even a Gigabyte design flaw.

I am on F8 and have not seen much improvement. It is just so odd that it is hit or miss. Last night my comp was fine where as the three night before it crashed. I knew I should have stuck with my HDDs in R0. :sly: I guess this is to be expected with the adoption of new tech. I'll have to try the OCZ FW update and I'll report back. Wish me luck! :p

Yea I just got a reply to the post that I made on the OCZ site. From what I can tell they are saying to update the SSD FW and MB BIOS. Looks like a clean install might be in my future. Just when I was getting everything settled. :cry:

Back