• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KDM PSU's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkade

Hello, recently alot of computer passing through my place have been KDM PSU's, and normally when I come across a sketchy off-brand I tend to change the PSU to a known name. I was curious. Since i had a couple machines that were irrecoverable, i salvaged parts, one being a gaming computer with a KDM 875watt PSU(claimed), Do you think the power supply is worth using in one of my biggger more powerful machines that needs its 600 watt PSU replaced? I Have never heard of KDM, but if the PSU works, I'm not gonna spend cash on a PSU. Will post pics of it shortly.

I've never heard of them either. Looking around a bit, I wouldn't trust it personally. Not when there aren't any reviews / tests at all and it's a totally unknown company as well.

It's hard to say for sure after looking at their website. http://kdmpower.com/
It looks they make some units that are 80+ Bronze. You might check the model number against their web site and see what the specs are. If you find it's one of the 80+ Bronze units then I'd say it definitely worth trying anyway.

Hey Ed, how does that work if someone else actually makes the PSU but they just slap their label on it? Would the name on the label end up on that list?

It should be the label name, yeah. Take Thermaltake for instance, they don't manufacturer any PSUs at all, but are on the list. The company is, I believe, required to be the one sending the units to the 80+ people. It's also worth noting that 80+ is a brand name essentially, owned by a private corporation. It's often glossed over or ignored, but it's not at all related to government. As such the risks of putting a false label on there aren't nearly as high as they could be.

They do occasionally lag in updating their website, but I don't think that's the issue here.

EDIT:
Actually continuing on thermaltake, manufacturers send ES units to 80+ generally, and sometimes those are rather beefier than the real production units. Note the swath of TR2 (non-bronze) units approved by 80+. Part of getting approved requires 100% load testing, though at a 20c or 25c (I forget, but very low) ambient. Few retail TR2 (non-bronze) units can do 100% load at all.

Too much trust in the 80+ logo can be an issue :D
(Not that we don't all do it. I do too)

I've never heard of them either. Looking around a bit, I wouldn't trust it personally. Not when there aren't any reviews / tests at all and it's a totally unknown company as well.

I Completely understand what your saying. I'm just curious cause i already have it, claims to be 875, and the machine only needs about 650 to 700. Don't have pics today, Will grab some tomorrow.

It's hard to say for sure after looking at their website. http://kdmpower.com/
It looks they make some units that are 80+ Bronze. You might check the model number against their web site and see what the specs are. If you find it's one of the 80+ Bronze units then I'd say it definitely worth trying anyway.

Model # is KDM-X8875C-875W

Attempting to do a site lookup shows nothing. PSU doesn't even exist on their site. I do have a spec sheet from their eBay listing though.

SPECIFICATION
Output Power: 875 Watt
Input Voltag: 88 -264 Volts Ac
Frequency: 60 / 50 Hz
Temperature Range
Operating: 0°C ~ +50°C on Full Load;
Storage & Shipping: -20°C ~ +80°C
Humidity: 5 ~ 90% on Operating, 5 ~ 95% on Storage
Dielectric Withstand: Primary Frame Ground 1800V AC for 1 Second
MTBF: 100,000 Hours on Maximum Load at +25°C
Rise time: Less than 20ms
Hold-up Time: 17ms Minimum at Nominal Input Voltage

Output

Voltage +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +3.3V +5V-SB
Current 25A 28A 28A 0.5A 25A 2.0A

Do not see an 80%+ on it. I'm a little interested if the PSU can even slightly do what it says.

I do have a spec sheet from their eBay listing though.

I took a look at that eBay listing. It's a Leadman... you can actually see their part number on the mainboard through the exhaust grille. Total junk.

Incidentally, be very wary of any unit claiming 80 Plus certifications that have a red voltage selector switch. Active PFC is required for many 80 Plus certifications, and when you see that switch you know the unit doesn't have APFC.

When you read PSU review like this one
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=324

You alwais end up being afraid of no name PSU !

That didn't scare me, THIS SCARED ME. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/26/exploding_computer_vs_reg_reader/

I took a look at that eBay listing. It's a Leadman... you can actually see their part number on the mainboard through the exhaust grille. Total junk.

After that last article and your confirmation of the PSU, i'm taking it, and giving it to someone who wants to give us some funny load tests. See when it blows up. as for myself, this is the PSU my machine is getting(my Dash-9 machine)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1990109

personally i wouldn't use any PSU that was not well known and proven good.
PC's cost to much to risk killing your whole system by cheeping out on a bad psu.

I have yet to meet the Coolmax that wasn't significantly overrated. Just keep that in mind...

Actually, that Hercules was even more poorly constructed than the one in the Register article.

I have yet to meet the Coolmax that wasn't significantly overrated. Just keep that in mind...

Actually, that Hercules was even more poorly constructed than the one in the Register article.

I Have a couple machine using those Coolmax PSU's. no matter what it may be, at least the Coolmax won't be going up in flames on me.

CPU is a Core i7 920 D0, will be running at 1.335 volts on the core.(OC)
GPU is a 9800 GX2, later to be swapped to a 550ti or 570.
Single HDD, Single CDrom, Couple high end Case fans(around 50 watts total)
3 Sticks of ram(1.66 Dram Bus Voltage) CPU Cooler pulls about 10-12 Watts. Thats all i can think of(other than basic USB mouse, keyboard, and soundcard)

If the 9800gx2 is stock that's right about 200w. CPU is probably in the 150-180 range worst case OC'd. 500w is a bit high but not too far off, depending on those case fans.

You can get significantly better units that will run that system just fine for the same money.

Are you in the USA?

If the 9800gx2 is stock that's right about 200w. CPU is probably in the 150-180 range worst case OC'd. 500w is a bit high but not too far off, depending on those case fans.

You can get significantly better units that will run that system just fine for the same money.

Are you in the USA?

Yes, but no, I am here for the next few days. What units do you recommend, i'll buy one and bring it back with me.

GX2 is OC'ed as well to about 650MHZ(voltages not adjustable back in the 9000's)

Case fans are 2 Delta AFB1212SH's side fans are 2 AFB1212SH's and rear 2 fans are EFb1212SHE's

Goin with the Corsair 600W, will be here long enough. Just curious, What are your personal view point on the old BFG PSU's(My main rig is using a 1000Watt PSU), the BFG EX-1000.

Back