• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeping GPU cool, any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
intake in the front and side, exhaust out the back and top.

okay first, those temperatures are not bad, what is your current cooling set up, are you using the side fans? do you have an intake on the front? Usually intakes are on the front and bottom and exhausts are on the rear and top. It doesn't look like it is the roomiest case ever. You could also look at aftermarket heatsinks or fans for your GPU if you are worried about the temps, but like I said, those temps aren't anything to worry about right now.

If you wanna push your card to the max on air, I'd say you need to put a side panel fan as exhaust right next to it.
Your case has mesh in the front panel, you can put 120mm fans inside the 5.25 drive bays and in front of the 3.5 drives too. Those should be intakes, and will help move air from front to back, the top side panel fan should be exhaust as well, to not disrupt the airflow pattern or get heated gpu air back inside.

Another thing you can do (which reduced temps by 15c on my gpu) is getting Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra thermal paste from Ebay.

Remove your gpu's stock cooler, clean the stock thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs, and then apply the liquid metal paste. Do so ONLY on the mirror like surface of the gpu core and the surface of the heatsink that presses over it.
A small 1/4 rice grain sized drop is enough for each side.
You must spread that paste with a cotton swab or the included brushes, as shown in this video HERE.

Trust me, people will be kinda skeptical, but that thermal paste will reduce temps by over 10c, and up to 25c if applied directly on naked dies.

okay first, those temperatures are not bad, what is your current cooling set up, are you using the side fans? do you have an intake on the front? Usually intakes are on the front and bottom and exhausts are on the rear and top. It doesn't look like it is the roomiest case ever. You could also look at aftermarket heatsinks or fans for your GPU if you are worried about the temps, but like I said, those temps aren't anything to worry about right now.

My cooling set up is a 120mm fan in the front intaking air, 80mm fan on the back outtaking hot air, 120mm fan on the side outtaking hot air also. Do you think this will disrupt airflow?, any ideas on a better way of doing this with my case (Intake, outtake areas). I haven't the fan i mentioned earlier, still waiting for it to get here.

If you wanna push your card to the max on air, I'd say you need to put a side panel fan as exhaust right next to it.
Your case has mesh in the front panel, you can put 120mm fans inside the 5.25 drive bays and in front of the 3.5 drives too. Those should be intakes, and will help move air from front to back, the top side panel fan should be exhaust as well, to not disrupt the airflow pattern or get heated gpu air back inside.

Another thing you can do (which reduced temps by 15c on my gpu) is getting Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra thermal paste from Ebay.

Remove your gpu's stock cooler, clean the stock thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs, and then apply the liquid metal paste. Do so ONLY on the mirror like surface of the gpu core and the surface of the heatsink that presses over it.
A small 1/4 rice grain sized drop is enough for each side.
You must spread that paste with a cotton swab or the included brushes, as shown in this video HERE.

Trust me, people will be kinda skeptical, but that thermal paste will reduce temps by over 10c, and up to 25c if applied directly on naked dies.

Would this be it? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/390566825021), might give it a try, but it says not suitable for aluminum, what exactly do they mean by that?, the GPU core isn't aluminum, is it?
Also, would any thermal paste do?, like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/271168219951)

Any thermal paste won't compare to that liquid metal one...it's just light years ahead.
It will corrode aluminum making a bond to it, and transforming it into an alloy.
Copper is fine, and the top of the gpu die is silicon with a mirror like surface (not sure what that is, but it's not metal)

Let me put it this way:

You use AS5 on the core, you might see a 3c drop...You use Liquid Ultra and you WILL see 15c+ drops. It's definitely worth it, just make sure the heatsink on your card isn't the type with exposed heatpipes and aluminum surrounding it, cause then you would have trouble with it.

Your airflow pattern is as good as it can be for that case btw.

Any thermal paste won't compare to that liquid metal one...it's just light years ahead.
It will corrode aluminum making a bond to it, and transforming it into an alloy.
Copper is fine, and the top of the gpu die is silicon with a mirror like surface (not sure what that is, but it's not metal)

Let me put it this way:

You use AS5 on the core, you might see a 3c drop...You use Liquid Ultra and you WILL see 15c+ drops. It's definitely worth it, just make sure the heatsink on your card isn't the type with exposed heatpipes and aluminum surrounding it, cause then you would have trouble with it.

Your airflow pattern is as good as it can be for that case btw.

I might get it, but i found something else that looks great (http://www.ebay.com/itm/310636478844), is this any good?

Did you set a custom fan profile with MSI AfterBurner?

That's the first thing to do: you set it to 100% and check your temps again.

Trust me on the liquid ultra thing man...15c+ drops, with the same fan speeds. I used to run my gtx 670 ftw at 60% max and temps were below 65c all the time, even at 1300mhz core and 7800mhz ram and full 3dm11 load.

Trust me on the liquid ultra thing man...15c+ drops, with the same fan speeds. I used to run my gtx 670 ftw at 60% max and temps were below 65c all the time, even at 1300mhz core and 7800mhz ram and full 3dm11 load.

Ok, i'll try it, i'll note what happens here. One thing, will this have the same effect on the CPU if i used it on it?

Increasing fan speeds will increase cooling prowess of your heatsink, but at the cost of more noise.

Liquid Ultra will not make a big difference and it will erase the markings with the serial number, so I don't reccomend it for the cpu. (unless it's an Ivy bridge and you remove the heatspreader with a vise and hammer - which is a really safe but more advanced thing to do)

Back