• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeping Icons on Desktop in Win10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have a small laptop run at 1920x1080 for desktop resolution.

When I attach dual monitor setup, both with 1920x1080, the position of the icons changes. Thus everything is not where it’s supposed to be.

When I detach the laptop all the desktop icons go back to their normal laptop screen position.

How can I prevent the icons from changing places so they are the same regardless of monitor size and monitor resolution. The other monitors I use are Quad HD, same issue.

How old is the laptop? What chipset does it have?

Do you have the Desktop "View" option set to Auto Arrange?

I use ReIcon which is essentially a right-click ap for your desktop. There are others which do the same if you search.
https://www.sordum.org/8366/reicon-v1-8-restore-desktop-icon-layouts/
When I enter duplicate display mode with both at 1920x1080 my icons don't move at all.
I run(ran) it as a portable ap and it created a folder in my programdata folder with the 32bit exe and a couple ini files only. I replaced the 32 with the 64bit exe and it still works. The right-click cmd uses the exe in the c/progdata folder and ignores my data drive folder altogether. Auto arrange icons should be unticked also. That essentially I think is your issue.

Last edited:
Back