• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard commands over ethernet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

Is there anyway to have a keyboard/mouse that can send commands to a PC no matter the range as long as it is on the same network? Ether that or another way to send keyboard commands regardless of distance so long as you are in the building? The range on wireless/bluetooth keyboards isn't long enough for my purposes.

Team Viewer or any remote software will work as long as you or someone else is there to respond to the request for user ID and password from the partner. Or do you need to control the other computer without permission at any time?

Team Viewer or any remote software will work as long as you or someone else is there to respond to the request for user ID and password from the partner. Or do you need to control the other computer without permission at any time?

team viewer even has a login system that you won't have to accept on the other end if you created an account (it's what I've used for my parent's machine and my various boxes for easy access).

Looking at Team viewer, I am confused how I would use use it like a keyboard without having an entirely separate computer with a separate screen. It seems more like an I don't need a remote screen view as I have the actual screen right next to me. I just need the ability to transmit keystrokes to the computer, I don't need or want any sort of RDP remote screen stuff. This same complaint goes for Google RDP or VNC or any other remote desktop protocol. I'm not looking for anything that gives me any sort of visual feedback. I just want a strict keyboard and mouse with no screen or anything like that to connect at long range.

Basically I have a monitor that may be up to 100 ft from the actual computer through a lot of walls and I want something to act like a normal keyboard and mouse while I am standing in front of the screen. I just want to replicate the functionality of a normal mouse and keyboard, so that if you didn't know the actual computer was sitting in a rack halfway across the building you would think you were just working at a normal computer setup.

I was hoping there was either a dongle/adapater I could use or an entirely new keyboard/mouse I could buy that would do this. It seems like it should be possible given that there are apps that do it...I just don't want it in an app, I want it in a hardware keyboard.

Last edited:
A USB to Ethernet extender should do the task. As to which to buy, I haven't a clue, but try to stick with the more recognizable manufacturer names and avoid the chinese $5 specials all over eBay or Amazon.

You did not mention in the original post that the other computer had no monitor. Would have been helpful to have that info.

If you are looking at a USB extender, you will need an "active extender" for distances longer than about 15 feet or so. These types of extenders pull power from the USB and use that to "reshape" the digital signals.

You did not mention in the original post that the other computer had no monitor. Would have been helpful to have that info.

That is because the goal is to have no other computer. Just a keyboard with a long range. It's why I don't mention a second computer in the post at all, and just ask about sending commands over the network.

The overall system is a rackmount computer in a network closet with the video output going to an HDMI matrix. The HDMI matrix then feeds the output to one of several TVs around the building. I would like the ability to sit at one of these TVs and use it like a normal computer. IE typing on a normal keyboard and normal mouse with the TV acting as a display. The problem is that these displays are too far away from the computer case for a normal wireless keyboard/mouse to connect.

As I was familiar with apps that allow for mobile devices to act as mice over ethernet, that was the first place I jumped to as if there was a keyboard that connected via 802.11 then it's range would be the range of the wireless network instead of the 10ft or so of a normal keyboard.

A USB over ethernet bridge with a bluetooth dongle presents a decent option. That is what I am looking at now, but it still seems like there should be a better option.

Again to reiterate: I don't want a second computer. If someone was to sit down at one of these screens I want them to be able use it like you use a normal keyboard and mouse.

Back